Sunday, January 14, 2007

Idea for Family Scripture Reading with young kids

My neighbor gave us a great idea at Christmastime, that we've carried over and are using for our family scripture reading. It's working so well, I thought I'd pass the idea along.

For Christmas, we made a paper chain to count down the days 'til Christmas. On every link, I wrote down a Christmas song and one scripture from the Christmas story. Every night we read the scripture and sang the song. I loved that my kids were understanding the scriptures that we read, because they already knew the story. We spent the entire month talking about one story, and it worked great for a 6 and 4 year old.

This year, we've decided to do one Book of Mormon story per week. On Sunday night, we watch the video clip from the Book of Mormon DVD from the distribution center (the one with still pictures). Then, throughout the week we read various scriptures from that story and talk about it in depth.

So far, it is working great. Brayden and Caleb are excited about the stories, and me and Todd are thrilled to watch them be excited and learn so much. Last week we concentrated on the Introduction to the Book of Mormon. The boys are now excited to go see Martin Harris's grave "near Newton" next time we're there. I'm amazed at how fast they pick things up, and I really want them to know the stories. Grandma Great gave them each 3 different Book of Mormon action figures for Christmas, so we're excited to play with those, too, and act out the stories.

The DVD from the distribution center is divided into 54 stories, which I typed up and added the scripture references to. If anyone would like a copy, I can e-mail it to you.

I hope this makes sense. We are really excited about it. For the first time ever, our kids are actually excited about family scripture time, because they are understanding the stories.

I also forgot to mention that we're going to have the boys draw pictures of some of their favorite stories, and then scan them into the computer, shrink them down, print them out, and paste them (along one edge) into their Book of Mormon's (or is it Books of Mormon?) They just have the little $4 paperback copies, so I'm not afraid to let them glue their own pictures in it. This way, I figure, they'll have some idea of where to find the stories in their scriptures. I love those stickers you can get at Deseret Book that you can stick right into their scriptures over the stories(they're see through) but they're so expensive!!! I think their own pictures will work just as well.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

What a great idea, Felicia! You are so good at thinking of an idea and carrying it through. We just finished the Book of Mormon on New Year's Eve, but we just read it the plain old-fashioned way. I think even my kids, who are a little older, would enjoy your idea...Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Please email me the list! I think our boys would really get into this idea. We have started reading chapter books at bedtime, so I think that they are ready to do something like this that takes a little concentration! This would help out our sad state of family scripture study so much. You're the greatest! :) ---Shauntae