By the time I got back around to the deli counter, I was in the back of the longest line I've ever seen in this county (except for the annual demolition derby). The man in front of me, Mark, offered to let me go ahead of him, but I told him I was just fine.
And then it happened.
Mark got the last serving of chicken lo mein.
My heart hung heavy as I got up to the counter and ordered plain old rice.
I came home and promptly e-mailed Todd, cursing Mark for taking the last of the lo mein, and he promptly e-mailed me back saying he'd be happy to "bust him up" for me, if only he weren't a former navy seal.
Just as I took my first bite of rice, there was a knock at the door, and my friend Julie (whose husband came home teaching last night) stood there with a container of soup and a loaf of artisan bread.
Cue the "Hallelujah Chorus".
Thanks for lunch, Julie. It was much appreciated. Todd thanks you too, 'cause he's no match for a navy seal.
Later in the day, I stopped at the bank to make a deposit before taking Caleb to basketball practice. I only had one kid in the van, but look what we got:
We showed up to basketball practice, and the door was locked. Candi was there with her son, and made a few phone calls to see if anyone knew what was going on. No need for a phone book...everybody knows each other's phone numbers here.
Todd had just informed me that the coach and his family were in California today, so I rolled down my window and told Candi that unless he'd gotten a substitute, there probably wouldn't be any practice.
That was fine with me, because Brayden had an "off day" and decided to stay home. At least this way he wasn't missing his practice.
We got home, and I asked Caleb to bring in the garbage can. A minute later we heard screaming (mixed with laughter) and ran outside to this:
The neighbors were probably laughing too.






7 comments:
I love this post!
There's just something so appealing about small town living!
Love it! Although it does make me miss home. Next time I'm home for a visit I'm going to have to come see you.
Ahh ya gotta love small towns. Hey my friend Amy and Ben Young are moving there soon. As far as I know he is already working there at the same place Todd works. I don't think they have sold their home in Orem yet. Have you met them?
at first i saw small town lovin...i was a little nervous and was wondering if you had moved into the "adult content" blogging...intrigued i went on to read...only to realize you wrote small town livin...and yes i love the small town livin at times as well.
yeah i don't think todd would stand a chance with mark.
not that todd wouldn't make a good run for it but i still think mark has a little more training than todd in the "i can bust him" department.
so thank heavens for julie!!!
oh btw no apparently royals AND the christenson household is out of chewable motrin...but i could make a few phone calls and see if i can get you some! ;)
So sad about the Lo Mein - no good deed goes unpunished.
Question - did you make Caleb wait while you ran for the camera or did you reinact?
Poor Caleb! That is pretty funny, though! I loved this post, too. My inlaws live in a town just like that and its the same way. No one needs a phone book. :-)
Post a Comment