Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Valentine's Day



I have fond memories of my Dad helping me make the best Valentine box ever when I was in third grade. I remember I was about to cover a shoe box with aluminum foil and put stickers on it like every other deprived kid, when Dad came to the rescue. We made a shiny white box with a huge padded fabric/lace heart attached to the back. It was marvelous.

So you can imagine my disappointment, when Brayden came home from school with a plain old paper bag that we were supposed to decorate and return to school. We did the best we could under the boring circumstances. We painted the bag black and used an old toothbrush to speckle "stars". Then we used craft foam and glitter glue to turn it into a rocket. We found glow-in-the dark foam hearts at Wal-Mart, and we found a leftover "Braydenaut" from Brayden's Space birthday party (from when he turned five--I can't believe I still had one).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have fond memories of Dad saving Valentine's day, too. My heart goes out to Dillon... I was probably about 4, and the rest of you all came home from school with piles of Valentines from all your classmates. Since I didn't go to school yet, I had nothing. Nada. Zilch... and I cried because of it. So dad put on those silly, old, adult-size, red footy pajamas out of the dress up box, pranced in (pretending to be cupid) and delivered a special valentine just for me.