Thursday, April 26, 2007

Still working on my Cotton Pickin' Chicken Kitchen...


My friends from Hanbury Manor will remember that I've been collecting "chicken stuff" for several years now with the goal of having a Cotton Pickin' Chicken Kitchen. I don't really like chickens all that much, I just like the sound of the title :o) Since my countertops are hideous orange (but in great shape, unfortunately) the chicken theme has proved to be a good choice.

Last week I had major quilting trauma (I lost the timing in my quilting machine three times). I was frustrated because I desperately needed to quilt to keep up with my schedule, but I couldn't, so I vented my frustrations by pulling the wood paneling off my diningroom wall.

Unfortunately, three of the panels were glued, and so when I got the paneling off, I had a "mell-of-a-hess". So I went to work with my trusty-dusty putty and sander, then I textured and painted. Since it wasn't really a planned project, I just used a can of paint that I had on hand. (I found it a couple months ago on clearance for $8 and I snatched it up, thinking that I'd be able to use it somewhere, since I love green so much)



I thought I liked the color but as it dried, I realized the green isn't right. It's too blue. This picture makes it look more blue than it really is, but it's still not right. My decor (and my countertops) needed something more avacado-ish. For now it'll just have to "be" until I get up the gumption to paint the rest of my kitchen/dining/livingroom (which desperately needs to be done anyway). At that time, I'll re-paint the diningroom wall.
I'm taking color suggestions 'cause I'm not totally sold on a green wall.


Here is a cute towel I found at the Quilted Bear, that has the red, yellow, and "shitbrindle green" that I wanted for my chicken kitchen, but it also has an orange stripe to tie in my lovely countertops. This is similar to the fabric in my valance (which I also found at the Quilted Bear, but have to re-model in all my spare time).

This is a picture of a quilt pattern that I bought four years ago (still haven't made the quilt). I'm hoping I can pull my myriad of colors together in this quilt and hang it from the shelf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed you're trying to work around your countertops. I ignore mine and hope someday I'll get new ones! :) It's really pretty though. I love the chicken quilt! I hope you get to it in your oh-so-free time soon!