Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Before, during, and after pics of the bathroom

This is what our bathroom looked like when we first moved in:
We learned a lot with our "first remodel" of this bathroom. I don't have any pictures of it, but we put laminate floor in, and painted the walls with the wrong kind of paint. (latex paint with a satin finish over 30 yr. old oil-based paint doesn't work so well). Before too long, Dillon tried to flush something and the toilet overflowed and we got water under the floor. It dried in a few days, but left the laminate warped. Then our paint started peeling and cracking anywhere and everywhere that it got moist (which is a bit hard to avoid in the bathroom).


After our toilet leaked all through the night last week, we ripped out the laminate flooring, and then part of the sub-floor that needed to be replaced. Our toilet spent some time in the tub...thank heavens for a toilet downstairs, even though there still aren't walls!

We also painted the cabinets and re-painted the walls and the ceiling using a bathroom primer, and then a high quality semi-gloss paint with an additive to resist mildew.

We are finally almost finished! I just need to put the final coat of paint on the cabinets (they're just primed right now). They'll be off-white. Oh, and we're going to get a white shade for the window. The flooring is a new product called Allure. It is a floating floor (like laminate) only it's linoleum that seals off so it can't get water under it. It was super easy to install--I did a third of it by myself! Only time will tell whether we like it, but it got good reviews online, so we decided to try it.



I still need to touch up a few spots on the wall where I worked my magic with a putty knife :o)

5 comments:

mommymelb said...

Beu-ti-ful! I'm impressed. I don't have the stamina to do a room once, but you've done it twice and it looks lovely!

Charlotte said...

Looks good!

Mindy said...

You are amazing! I wish I had that "get it done" attitude! I just have the "wanna get it done" attitude. ;)

Kellee said...

I had no idea you were so good at decorating. It looks great! Isn't it fun to do projects sometimes because you can? Except for some friends, I don't miss apartment life at all!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Looks great, I love the new colors.