Monday, July 20, 2009

Our crabAPPLE tree

My friend, Sandra, asked a good question in her comment on my last post: "Why does Todd want to cut off the branch that grows apples?"

I decided the answer should be preserved for posterity's sake since it's an ongoing battle at our house :o)

Here's a picture of the tree from the side. On the left you have crabapple, and on the right there's that one big branch that grows apples. I love it. Todd hates it. It really is a pain to mow under because the apple branch grows so close to the ground. As the apples get bigger, it nearly touches the grass. To me it's totally worth mowing around (especially since I'm the one WATCHING the mowing most of the time).

What would you do if it were your tree?

8 comments:

Mindy said...

I would fight to keep it. :) It's one of those fun quirky things, plus apples are yummy.

Anonymous said...

I say that if it a pain to mow around it should go. Apples don't cost that much. I am sure your husband gets poked in the eye, smaked in the head, and scratched all over his arms every time he mows around it. I vote it goes

Sandra said...

I think it would be pretty nice just to have one branch with apples. You wouldn't have a ton of apples to pick. I do agree that it would be a pain with mowing.

Toolman said...

Pluck off the branches that have not brought forth good afruit, and cast them into the fire.
27 But behold, the servant said unto him: Let us prune it, and dig about it, and nourish it a little alonger, that perhaps it may bring forth good fruit unto thee, that thou canst lay it up against the season.

Marianne said...

I think you should keep it!

And I'm LOL-ing at "anonymous"... is it possible that Todd goes by that alias? :o)

mommymelb said...

See, we would have the same argument at our house, and I know what would happen....I'd go away to my moms for the weekend or something and David would cut it off while I was gone!

I would come home and call him passive/agressive and threaten not to do his laundry anymore and eventually we'd make up. :)

I'm glad Todd is so much more mature than David though so this doesn't happen to you!

Shell said...

I'd say it totally depends on how good the apples are! Maybe there is some way to brace it to the bigger part of the tree so it doesn't hang down so much. Best of both worlds.

BrianG said...

I would cut down the crab apple tree, stake up the apple tree to pull it out of your way and plant a second apple tree, maybe Rome apples or Jonagold.