We took our fist vacation of the summer this week,
and visted the Grand Canyon...and grand, it was.
I didn't have to worry too much about the boys
getting too close to the edge, because Dillon
worried enough for all of us. We named him our
personal GPS (Graves positioning system).
If we got too close to the edge, he let us know
...and he wasn't quiet about it.
There were plenty of places to have a picnic and look
over the rim. The boys had a great time jumping off of
rocks, and that was just fine with me.
We took this trail, and saw the foundations of some
Native American homes. It was great for Brayden
since it passed off one of his scout requirements.
The boys became "Junior Rangers" by completing the requirements
in their booklets from the visitor's center. We also attended a class
on the California Condor, and it was actually quite interesting.
My favorite part was "Angel's Window". The video at the end
is the view we had while standing at the edge of this formation.
We stayed at a cabin in Jacob Lake (about an hour from the
Grand Canyon) where my cousin Clarissa is working
for the summer. It was fun to see her. She seems like
she's having a great time...I miss those college days :o)
Until Clarissa started working there, and I looked at a map,
I had no idea we only live about 4 1/2 hours away from the north rim.
but made sure that he knew how well known he wasn't.
They grow up so fast...
Dillon took this picture of Todd.
We spent the $80 for the National Parks pass,
so we're hoping to get to Canyonlands, Arches, Zion's,
Bryce Canyon, and possibly Mt. St. Helen's and
Mesa Verde within the next year.
We live within a 3 hour drive of the first four,
and we're only about 5-6 hours from Mesa Verde.
Hopefully we can do Mt. St. Helen's during our
trip to Washington in July.
Now if we could just buy a trailer...






3 comments:
What a fun trip!
It laughed outloud when you said it's a long way down. I'm scared to death of canyons. Last time we went through Twin Falls Idaho I told my kids that canyon was the Grand Canyon. They still believe me although I'm sure it won't last much longer. The pictures are beautiful. I'm sure when I end up going there with my kids I'll be the one who makes sure they don't get too close to the edge. Of course in my opinion, Arizona just may be too close to those edges!
That looks like so much fun! We hope that in a couple years we can start "big" trips.
Post a Comment