Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Webkinz World-ly

My kids LOVE their webkinz. If I need a good way to "encourage" them to clean their room, I am always more successful with threatening to take away Webkinz, than I am with taking away Wii time.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Webkinz, they are stuffed animals that come with a code that you can enter online, and then you can "take care" of your animal in a computer game. You earn money, take them to the doctor, buy them things, and they can even visit friends.

The funny thing is, my kids have always enjoyed playing with the actual stuffed animal a lot more than they do the computer stuff.

This week, however, since I've been trying to organize our house and catch up on laundry, I've let Dillon play Webkinz on the computer every day, just to keep him busy.

Today, when I logged him in, I noticed that his monkey was quite hungry.

Does it bother anyone else when their kid's webkinz are hungry?

I. can't. stand. it.

So amid my super busy day, I sat down, and played a Tetris-like game for 15 minutes to earn some "kinzcash", so I could buy some food for the starving VIRTUAL monkey.

Then I asked Dillon why he hadn't been feeding his monkey. He answered that he wanted to, but he never had enough money.

I asked him what he does in Webkinz World if he's not "earning money". He answered that he HAS earned money, but he's spent it all on PAINT to paint his animals' rooms.

This comes AFTER he announced yesterday that he would like me to add more blue to his own room.

I think it's time for the poor kid to get out and play some baseball...

7 comments:

smdc said...

Ha. I will freely admit that I play on Webkinz almost as often as I sit at the computer... My current favorite is Cash Cow 2.

Also, I am the one who feeds the pets, too. All TWENTY of them... (I have refused to buy anymore. But, she saves her money...)

Sandra said...

HA HA that is so funny. None of my kids have been into Webkinz. You are truly a Mother. Feeling the need to help your child's virtual pets :)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Nick's the one who feeds all the Webkinz in our house. :)

Becky G said...

I am the same way! Everytime Emily gets on Webkinz and ask her to check on her animals and make sure they are fed and are feeling well. (And that they haven't died yet..) It can really bug me that she would play games before feeding her pets. :) May she needs to play some good ol' fashioned Barbies...

Violadiva said...

is there something symbolic in your family about buying paint instead of food? Maybe Dillon is sending the universe a message...:)

mommymelb said...

My kids don't have any webkinz, and since I don't want to feed them (and I would have to) I'll make sure they don't get any! :)

Shell said...

I've totally done that too. And I've been known to bathe them as well. Sad,I know.