Sunday, January 27, 2008

Missing President Hinckley


My brother just called to let me know that President Hinckley passed away this afternoon. I always thought I would cry when I heard the news but right now I'm just numb, and at peace knowing that he is with his dear wife.

After the Relief Society conference meeting in September 2006, I felt inspired to write a letter to President Hinckley. I sent it on a Monday morning (the week before conference). Among other things, I expressed my love and appreciation for him, told him of how inadequate I felt sometimes as a mother, and asked him how he managed his busy schedule and how he resisted the urge to take a nap. I never in a million years expected to get a letter from the church office building the following Monday morning (just after conference). The reply was written by his secretary, but included words that President Hinckley himself wanted me to hear. In his usual humorous style, he told me that it was okay for me to take a nap! Oh how I love this letter! I keep it with my scriptures.

Also, I remember well the day that President Hinckley conducted my Great Uncle Ed's funeral. I was newly married (only 5 or 6 weeks) and Todd was not able to attend. I don't remember what he said, but as he spoke the spirit bore witness to me that Heavenly Father had a plan for me and my new husband. It was a very simple revelation, but one that I will never forget. I even told President Hinckley about it in my letter. I am grateful for the chance I had to be in the same room with him, and feel his amazing spirit in such a secluded setting.

5 comments:

mommymelb said...

I am feeling sad too...but happy that he is with his sweet wife.

I remember you telling me about your Uncle's funeral, and how awesome an experience it was for you.

Do you remember when he came to Ricks and we watched Tricia sing in the choir and what a neat thing she said that was?

I will miss him too.

Anonymous said...

I always said that you could feel the love for each of us from this great man. You just had to hear his voice, listen to his words to know that he did indeed love each and every one. He will be greatly missed.

Mindy said...

Felicia, what a treasure! I am so glad you could get such a special letter from President Hinckley!

Anonymous said...

Having lived through the passing of 7 prophets now, I can tell you "young people" it doesn't get any easier. Dad had the TV on while I was fixing dinner tonight, and I still had to fight back the tears as I listened to the continuing broadcasts about Pres. Hinckley. Even in the saddness, I think about the reunion with his beloved wife. Pres. Hinckley will always hold a special place in my heart.

Anonymous said...

what a glorious treasure you have! You will be able to teach your personal testimony and relationship with the Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley forever with that now. They will most likely not remember much about him like I don't remember anything about President Benson. But you will always have the piece of closeness to him that will teach your boys to feel that same closeness although they didn't remember it themselves.