Friday, January 18, 2008
This recipe is a keeper
Sweet Pork Burritos (like Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida)
I've tried a few recipes claiming to be like Cafe Rio, but this is by far my favorite.
meat mix:
6lb Pork Roast: Put in Crock Pot and cover halfway up with water and cook for at least 6 hours. Discard Water. Shred.
In separate bowl mix a 12oz can of salsa, 1 can Coke, and 2 cups brown sugar. Pour over meat. Cook an additional 3 hours.
dressing:
In a blender combine:
1 Buttermilk Ranch Mix packet.
2 cups mayo
2 cups buttermilk (or 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup milk)
2 tomatillos
1 jalapeno, seeded
1/2 - 1 bunch cilantro
1 Tbs lime juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
I had to look online to see what a tomatillo was--I've actually had the dressing recipe for awhile but I've been scared of it because of the tomatillo's. Turns out they're a small green tomato, and even though my local grocery store didn't carry them fresh, I found them in a can in the "mexican food" aisle. This dressing is fabulous!
Cilantro Lime rice
I just threw some chopped cilantro and 1/2 cup lime juice in the rice cooker before cooking the rice.
Place meat mix, rice, black beans (we just opened a can, rinsed, and heated them) and dressing on a tortilla. Roll up and experience HEAVEN! Dillon took one bite and said, "mmm, tasty." I think Costa Vida puts cheese in it or on top or something, but we didn't need it.
I did a search online of similar recipes and found one that used lemon-lime soda, and one that used Dr. Pepper. Next time I'll try the Dr. Pepper since it is my favorite.
The meat mix and the dressing make a ton, so I'm freezing some for next time. What a SUPER EASY meal that makes enough for another night. I love it!
Labels:
what's for dinner?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






7 comments:
It sounds fabulous, but I'm always hesitant to try a new recipe that uses more than 2 "unfamiliar" ingredients. I don't "do" cilantro either... would it work without?
I'm with Char...I'm not very brave when it comes to too many new ingredients I've never used before. However, this recipe looks awesome and I'll take your word for it that it's delicious.
and Char, it took me a while to get to know cilantro - but now I love it! baby steps, you know.
Yummy! I've made the dressing, but haven't tried this pork recipe. How close were you to Cafe Rio's? The one I've done was close but no cigar, so I'm always hoping for the perfect one!
PS-You can buy uncooked tortillas at Costco (and some supermarkets) and cook them at home, makes the experience even better!
Thanks for the yummy sounding recipe.
If I cooked a 6 pound roast, we'd be eating it for a week. if I venture forth and make it, I'll be freezing part too!
Felicia,
That was the BEST burrito I have ever eaten! Yummy!! I made the whole recipe for my husband's family, and there is still enough left over to freeze! I think Mom is going to try it with chicken. BTW, we served the dressing to pour over salad as well, and it was fantastic! (And I couldn't find tomatillos, so we just did without. It was still good!)
Sandra passed this on to me. I can't wait to try them. My husband is a a Costa Vida fanatic, so it should be fun.
P.S. If you don't mind I'm also going to link to your blog :)
Post a Comment