Friday, December 12, 2008

Your...STYLE???


Last night Todd had to work late (I think he got home just before 1:00 AM), so I put the kids to bed and decided to do something crafty. I've had this centerpiece in mind for awhile. It's still not finished...I think it needs a battery operated candle, some dried lemons/oranges, a rusty jingle bell, maybe some berries or pinecones, a mini wooden spoon and rolling pin, etc.

Anyway, I was pretty happy with my progress until Todd saw it this morning. Our conversation went something like this:

Todd: Where did this come from?

Me: (overflowing with exuberance 'cause I love how the gingerbread's turned out when I sprayed them with glitter) It has only cost $3 so far!!! Can you believe it? I got the wooden box at a yard sale for $1, I bought a wreath at the dollar store and made the pine bough's out of it, and I bought the candy canes for $1 and wrapped them with fabric from my stash. Then I made the gingerbread men.

Todd: Choking. You MADE the gingerbread men?

Me: (thinking he was proud) Don't you love the glitter?

Todd: (speaking at the same time as me) I thought it came from DI that way...it looks like an enrichment night gone bad.

Silence.

Me: (wondering what Todd's head would look like if it were sprayed down with glitter) You don't like them?

Todd: (smiling) Shwee...I don't think making gingerbreads is a good hobby for you. (my nickname is shwee, by the way) I'm still traumatized from the last time you tried to make them...remember those giant chicken nuggets with arms?

I guess they're just not my style.

Me: (wide eyes) Your...STYLE? (laughing) Your style is MY style!!! Look around this room? Have you even tried to decorate anything? Oh wait, the fire alarm next to the welcome sign...yeah, I guess that's your contribution...and I'm sorry, but it has to go.

(at this point Todd put his tail between his legs, bowed his head, and retreated to the bedroom...with a smile, because honestly...he's happy when I'm happy)

Thanks dear, for keeping your opinions to yourself most of the time. However, upon gaining some confidence (and reassurance) from Vanessa, the gingerbreads are staying.

Now what else can I spray with glitter...

6 comments:

Shanda Call said...

I wish I had one ounce of your creativity!

girlsmama said...

I think it looks darling. Totally your style. Todd's too, for that matter. :)

Sandra said...

I love it when you post how your conversations with Todd play out. You'll have to show a picture of it finished.

Toolman said...

I'm with Todd. Mr Potato Heads aren't your thing. :) Sorry.

Marianne said...

I can totally see your vision for the centerpiece...I think it'll be great.

And for the record, everytime you post a picture of that cute shelf filled with cute stuff, I covet it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Felicia, how are you? I found you through Jamie B's blog. I couldn't stop smiling when I read your most recent post. At least your hubby doesn't make you get a rid of a craft everytime you buy or make a new one. That's my hubby's rule.
I can't believe how big your boys are. How's life been to your family? You ready for Christmas?
So how much do you sell your quilts for? They are beautiful.