Sunday, May 10, 2009

Crazy week!

We've had a crazy week at our house.

I'll start at the very beginning. Last Monday was my 31st birthday. When did I get that old? Caleb started the day by throwing up, and then acted fine all day...until bedtime, when he had a fever.

Brayden made my birthday cake (with Dad's help) and unfortunately the picture got deleted. He made my favorite: chocolate molten cake with vanilla ice cream. Thanks Brayden!

On Tuesday, Caleb seemed better so he went to school, but came home with a fever. I think he has either a sinus or an ear infection.

Todd spent the morning building the floor of our new shed.

Wednesday was insane. We started by renting the tiller from the local hardware store. I ran to the farm store and PAID MONEY for turkey manure, and we got the garden ready. For those of you who already have pea's flowering...stop laughing. We have hard frost until June 10th here.


After we tilled the garden, I spent the morning helping Todd work on the shed, then I left to go visiting teaching, and then straight to Scouts. After scouts, I got home in time to help hold up the shed in the wind.

You really haven't lived until you've tried to build a metal shed in the wind.

Todd was cussing like a sailor, while the kids and I did our darndest to hold up the sides. Finally, we deemed it unsafe for the kids and sent them inside to say a prayer while I watched the wind bend that metal like a straw.

Todd had the brilliant idea to use 2x4's to prop up the sides (inside and out) which saved our shed.

On Thursday, we started early (before the wind) and got the roof started. Things were going well until about 11:30 AM, when a HUGE gust of wind came up and nearly took the roof panels with it. Todd was at the top of a ladder, putting a screw into a panel, when the gust came, and in his hurry to get down and tape the panels to keep them from flapping, he sprained his ankle.



His ankle is twice the size it should be, and he has a nasty bruise that goes all the way around and down to his toes!
So, the shed progress stopped there.

We were on our way to the clinic, to have an x-ray on Todd's ankle, when I remembered that Dillon's preschool graduation was starting in 15 minutes.

So, I dropped Todd off at the clinic, wiped the snot of of Dillon's face, and took him to the high school for his graduation. (Dillon's "preschool" was actually the child development lab at the high school. He went two days a week for 45 minutes).

His teacher said that he was "the best 4 year old artist she'd ever seen".

On Friday, I left at 7:00AM and drove to Salt Lake for the annual Home Machine Quilting Show. I met my friend, Cami, at her apartment and we went together. Thanks Cami!

Here's a sample of some of the AMAZING quilting I saw:

It was on Friday that I realized how "old" I've become. It started when I put on my most comfortable shoes (they didn't match my outfit at all) to go to the show.

Cami was free for the evening (after a meeting she had to attend), but I was worried about the deer in the mountains and opted to leave "the big city" early.

I did some shopping to avoid rush hour traffic, and as I passed Spanish Fork I briefly considered stopping at the Macey's grocery store there. The problem, is that I was just as excited at the thought of going to Macey's, as I was to go to Tai Pan, IKEA, and Target. Does anyone else get excited when they walk down the food storage aisle?

The kicker was the last hour of my drive, when I turned up the volume on my music, and sang along at the top of my lungs.

It was a Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD.

And I listened to "How Firm a Foundation" three times.

On Saturday, we had one of those "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" mornings and after a *small* amount of nagging, and weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth (mostly me), we got the house cleaned up. It was completely clean on Wednesday morning...what happened people???

Then I got a free piano lesson by phone from my brother (Thanks Ben!) and discovered that my fingering is terrible. I have a lot of practicing to do, but I think because of his help, I might actually be able to add a few hymns to my 10 song repertoire. Wah-hoo!

We spent the evening in Richfield. I got new shoes, a wax warmer, some fabric for a new quilt, and my boys surprised me with roses! I told them to pick out a new movie to watch on the way home (for being so patient while I was shopping)...after all, I couldn't be a mother without them!

Today has been a wonderful day. Todd made me an omelet for breakfast and "surprised" me with a pie bird (I love pie birds). I say "surprised" because in the middle of my ranting yesterday about how nobody puts anything away, I found a receipt on the counter that I read through to see if I could throw it away...and saw "pie bird" on the list.
Maybe next time they'll clean up their stuff!

After church, Todd made homemade tortilla's and chicken salad with grapes. It doesn't get any more "girl food" than that. It was delicious. I have to admit that my favorite part of the day was when the table was all set and Todd looked at the tortilla's and chicken salad and said to himself, "What else are we having?" How could I have just spent that much time in the kitchen and all we have is that???

Now the boys are playing electronic battleship while I blog, and I think I'm going to take a little nap.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

I have to tell you... sometimes when I see a "long post" on somebody's blog I kind of skim and move along... usually doesn't grab my attention. But your posts? I read them with a grin on my face the entire time, then am sad when it's over! (Okay, I didn't grin when I saw Todd's ankle, but I did smile a little at the picture of you both trying to hold up the metal against the wind).

I loved your examples of "getting old"! I'm totally there!

Cami said...

Happy Mother's Day! Thanks for letting me tag along at the quilt show. That was fun! My free evening on Friday ended up not being very free. I came home from our appt and ended up taking Travis to the dr.
I am glad you made it home safely. We will have to have our girls weekend soon!

Charlotte said...

I had to google "pie bird" because I've honestly never heard of such a thing. Does that make me NOT old? I'm glad you had a happy mother's day. Hope Todd's ankle is doing better.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about Comet... i made a paste of it and used a scouring pad. It took some elbow grease, but the marker finally came off.

Sandra said...

I hope you got your nap! LOL about him saying he spent so much time in the kitchen and so little to show from it....thats how I feel!