The kid on the cover of last month's New Era (Porter Ellett) is in our ward. I just finished watching him on Good Morning America, and am inspired by what a great example he is. If he can play baseball and basketball with one arm (and do it well), then I ought to be able to accomplish a lot more with both of mine!I worry at times about raising my kids here. So many kids in this county get caught up in drugs, alcohol, and sex. I know those problems are everywhere, but we are especially lacking in alternative things to do. There's no marching band, no drama department to speak of (at least not like I'm used to), no football, no soccer, no concurrent enrollment classes, very few jobs, and no place to go on a Friday night. It's so nice to have an example like Porter and his family. They inspire me to be better, and hope for a bright future--regardless of where we live.






3 comments:
Funnily enough, the church magazine dept. accidentally sent us that New Era issue instead of our Friend issue, so I read the article! I did notice that he was from Loa, so I was looking at the background in the pics of him to see what it's like out there.
I think your worries are valid, it would be hard to keep the kids occupied in such a small area. But like you said, it can be done. :)
I have the same concerns with my kids. I think any person who lived through adolescents can understand. For me I am going to focus on creating a home that my kids feel comfortable "hanging out" at with their friends. I think that you and your husband have to tools to raise your kids right.
hey did you catch him on good morning america? i have it recorded if you want to watch it! i need to call you!
Post a Comment