Tuesday, August 19, 2008

House comparison

The boys have been out riding their bikes and enjoying their last night to stay up [sort of] late before school starts on Thursday. I've been sitting in the yard under the apple tree and enjoying the cool summer evening. I snapped this picture of my house with my cell phone, so the color isn't great...I'll take a better one in a few days when my zinnia's bloom.

This year we added the window boxes (I love 'em...thank you, Todd) but they still need to be painted. We also got a new screen door. Todd made the cute red ladder on the left, and we nabbed the old-fashioned wheelbarrow from my dad's barn in the spring. Next year I want to plant more perennials that will grow tall enough to hide the cement foundation. Any idea's?
Todd has been working hard on the lawn and it finally looks great! It had big yellow spots and bare patches for the first part of summer, but he's re-planted in the bare spots, weeded and feeded, treated for grubs, and gave it a treatment of straight nitrogen. Now it has to be mowed twice a week, but he doesn't mind. He finally got the thick luscious lawn he's been waiting for :o).
We'll soon get new windows with almond frames, rather than dark brown. I can't wait to be able to open my livingroom windows to let the breeze in!
This is what it looked like when we moved in:

10 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wow. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint and a little TLC can do to a place. It looks great. You guys should be proud.

As for the perennials... I don't even know what perennials are. Sorry.

V and Co. said...

uh yeah whatever flaunt your flower boxes go ahead, i know where you live. (your house looks great by the way)

mom said...

It looks great! Sorry it's been a year since we've seen your house. You've done a great job!

Mindy said...

You're amazing! I love what you've done. We have a lot of perennials here, but I don't know what they're all called, so I can't tell you which ones to plant!

Kellee said...

Your house looks incredible. I wouldn't have come up with your ideas to make it so cute.

We have lilies and I love them. Each year where there was one, three more have come up beside it. Mine are pretty tall...maybe 4 feet high. The only thing about perennials is the blooms don't last as long as annuals. But the lily plants have lots of long green leaves that hide most of our foundation. An idea.

Sandra said...

Looks good, you guys have done a great job! I like the evergreen trees we have in our yard, they don't take much water and they are always green. I don't know if they are exactly called evergreen trees.

Ashton and Shanda Call Family said...

wow! you are amazing woman! it is looking great! what a cute home.

Jo-Anne said...

I love all the work you have done on your house. It's beautiful!!

I used to plant daisies and lilies to camoflauge unsightly areas of our house/yard. They get really full and come back every spring. I really like bleeding hearts, too for a shady spot.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

mommymelb said...

Wonderful work you guys! Do you want to come and landscape my house? I'm so impressed with your work!

Toolman said...

All houses have cement foundations, so don't worry to much about covering them up. The house looks great though.