Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thinkin' things...

Believe it or not, I actually have TWO friends who who share my due date.

I found out today that one of them miscarried...and it breaks my heart.

Sometimes, when I read about fetal development each week, I wonder how any of us made it. There are just so many things that can go wrong. Birth is truly a miracle.

My morning sickness is starting to be a little bit better, which I am both grateful for, and nervous about. I have learned a lot about faith, hope, and patience.

I go to the doctor on Saturday, and I'm anxious to hear the heartbeat. I've come to the conclusion that no matter how many times I see or hear the heartbeat, it's not going to be enough to stop the nagging fear of something going wrong.

I am grateful for the peace I feel. I know that my pregnancy is in the Lord's hands. I have learned the importance of hope, and I have hope that everything is going to be okay this time.

So far this pregnancy has been similar to others, in that I crave fruit, fruity drinks/smoothies, and bread. When I'm not pregnant, I would choose vegetables over fruit any day. Also, my meat of choice has been chicken, when I would normally choose beef.

I have been more sick with this pregnancy, but I have also been more able to come up with foods that sound good, which is interesting to me. The question is whether I can get my hands on what I want in the middle of nowhere. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Jamba juice franchise in the neighborhood! And then there was the day that I only wanted chicken chow mein...

My brother and sister are gonna love this: My microfiber fuzzy blanket, that's on my bed, makes me gag. Just touching it makes me want to hurl. Normally I LOVE soft fuzzy blankets...to some of you this will sound completely bizarre, but textures, sounds, smells, thoughts, and seeing things like the microwave, dirty dishes, and the toilet make me gag. Todd wore a sweater to church last Sunday and I had to sit a few inches away because I couldn't handle touching his sweater. It's a pregnancy first for me.

And now I'm off to the boys' basketball game. Do you know how many smells there are in a crowd of people? Wish me luck.

12 comments:

Lexi said...

I was much sicker with girlie than I was the boys. Maybe that trait runs in the family! :-)

Mindy said...

When I was pregnant with Cooper I worried every second that I was going to miscarry... these babies making it through truly is a miracle. I'm so sorry about your friend who miscarried. Oh, it's a hard thing.

Your aversions are hilarious... fuzzy blankets? The microwave? I guess dirty dishes and the toilet could make just about anyone gag... ;)

Sandra said...

I hope the smell at the basketball game wasn't bad. I've never experienced the feeling of stuff. Maybe I hadn't thought about it, pretty crazy. I hope all goes well with your appointment!

Jen O said...

I'm there with you on the smells. Seems like I'm always saying "What's that smell?" or "Do you smell that?" My husband calls me his little bloodhound and it's even worse when I'm pregnant. With my first, anything mint made my stomach churn...I gagged every time I brushed my teeth! Hoping for a positive doctor visit for you.

Becky G said...

When I was pregnant with Emily I told Michael that I could stand the smell of his deoderant. He was pretty offended at first. I don't think he believed me - but I still made him change it! Maybe there is a "metal" aversion going on with your microwave or something...well, Good luck, tell Todd to be patient - you'll be back to normal in about 7 months!

Pianoman said...

Do you also see shapes when you gag???

smdc said...

Congratulations on making it this far! I've been thinking about you and hope that everything continues well!

Jo-Anne said...

I had an issue with seeing melted cheese with the last pregnancy. I just think it is so strange all the things that make us gag while being pregnant. I also think it's strange that we will eat things we wouldn't normally eat. I knew a girl that wanted to eat chicken gizzards every day. I also knew a girl that chewed on the little rubber tires from hot wheels cars. See what I mean??? Weird.
I hope you continue to do well. Take care!
Jo-Anne

Charlotte said...

I completely know what type of blanket you're talking about and just thinking about it sends shivers up my spine. I hate them.

For me, I'm never satisfied until the baby is about 25 weeks- a viable baby that could survive is something were to go wrong. And then the panic sets in again around 37 weeks when the baby is full term. At that point I always feel like they would be safer outside than in.

Good luck. We're praying for you. I'll pray for a Jamba to join the neighborhood, too. :)

mommymelb said...

Do you remember those yummy strawberry almost smoothies we used to get at Kapono's? I still crave them! I wish you could have a Jamba at your house too!

And I totally get the toilet thing. I would just have to think about it and I would puke my guts up!

Good luck on the texture things! I hope that doesn't stay permanent for you!

mommymelb said...

I meant strawberry almond smoothies....geez...

Leila said...

I have had our babies in the summer and I would almost die with desire driving past those McD. frapaccino/iced latte signs. I don't know what about it sounded so good. I would fill that urge by making chocolate milk and ice blender drinks.
Oh, our favorite/easiest blender drink is a can of tropical fruit w/juice and a tray of ice. Yumm.
Good luck!