Sunday, January 10, 2010

A very cheesy party

I won't mince words here. Morale has been low in our house for the past few days. The kids are tired of Mom being sick. Todd, though relieved that I am sick, is tired of the extra chores he's had to do, and I just can't wait to put away the darn Christmas tree.

Caleb got sick in the night, so he and I stayed home from church today. Thankfully, he's been fine all day and the two of us devised a silly little party to raise everyone's spirits.

It started when we took the Stouffer's 5-cheese Lasagna out of the freezer. Caleb and I read through the ingredients to see which five cheeses were included, and discovered that there were actually SIX cheeses in our lasagna...and an idea was born.

We decided to have a contest over dinner, to see if anyone could guess the cheeses. We made a list of all the cheeses we could think of, and made a copy for each person so they could circle their answers.

We then made a centerpiece out of the lasagna box lid, and our cheese grater and slicer. We served "Cheese-It" crackers for an appetizer, and finished off by using a pair of scissors to make "swiss cheese napkins". We briefly considered using grated cheese for confetti on the table, but I thought about it melting and decided against it. Nobody guessed the cheeses right, but we had an enjoyable family dinner, which ended (and I'm not kidding here) when someone "cut the cheese".

If you'd like to make a guess as to which six cheeses are in this five cheese lasagna, here's the multiple choice quiz:

Swiss
Colby
Ricotta
Mozzarella
Cheddar
Parmesan
Bleu
Feta
Cottage cheese
Gouda
Romano
Asiago
Monterrey Jack
Provalone
Meunster

May the big cheese win.

And, for old times sake, enjoy the Cheese Roll Call:

7 comments:

V and Co. said...

you are so creative. i stayed home today too. jake's out of town and katie threw up yesterday. just to make sure we didn't infect anyone we stayed home...but i didn't make a cheesy party. though i did watch "friends" while folding laundry...and then fell almost asleep to watching "friends" when i was done with said folded laundry. i think you get the award for being the better more creative mom and wife today. ;) -V

Mindy said...

Can I just borrow your brain for one week?? My kids would think I was the funnest mom ever! I laughed out loud at how your party ended. ;) Okay, my guesses:

Ricotta
Mozzarella
Cheddar
Parmesan
Romano
Asiago


Do I win? :)

Felicia said...

So close, Mindy.

There's no cheddar.

Violadiva said...

Here are my guesses (at least this is what I put in my Lasagna)

Ricotta
Cottage Cheese or Provolone
Parmesan
Asiago
Mozzarella
Romano

There's a difference between Italian cheese and the rest of the world, I think...

Cathy Brian said...

I'm impressed that with the morning sickness you still managed something fun and creative with food. ugg just the thought turns my uncreative brain into nightmareish memories of small rooms, with white rings, and swirling water.
I love your ideas!

Felicia said...

Viola Diva wins! The final cheese was provalone.

Jen O said...

Way to take a crummy situation and make it fun. Hope you'll start feeling better soon.