Monday, March 22, 2010

Boy or Girl?



"The next day" (as Dillon would say) is our 20 week ultrasound! We are taking the kids out of school so they can be there, and I'm excited to make it a family day.

I found out Dillon's gender at 3:00 AM in the hospital ER (I had driven there by myself), while the technician was looking for my appendix. It was a little anti-climactic.

Here's a fun conversation from dinner the other night:

Dillon: "If our baby is a girl, will we have two Mom's?"

Brayden and Caleb were quick to inform him that she would be a sister, not a mom.

Todd (jumping on this one): "You might be surprised at how 'motherly' little sisters can be...and just remember that 'motherly' rhymes with 'smotherly'..."

The statistics are not in our favor. In Todd's family, there is no variation in gender among his siblings' kids. Larry has 4 boys. We have 3 boys. Michael has 3 girls, and Aaron has 3 girls. On my side we have Tyler with 3 boys, and then finally we have Charlotte who somehow got hold of a new recipe, and broke the mold by having a boy and a girl.

Whatever it is, I am just thrilled to be 20 weeks along and still pregnant! I will be happy with whatever Heavenly Father sends.

I've had a few bumps along the way with each pregnancy, and this one is no different. This time my blood platelets are low. Apparently, I've had an "immune system malfunction", and my body has formed antibodies that are fighting off my blood platelets, which help the blood to clot. It is likely that the condition will go away after the baby is born, but until then I have to have my blood monitored closely to make sure my platelet count doesn't get too low. The bill for my last blood draw was $450 so it's getting to be an expensive pregnancy considering my many ultrasounds and now the blood tests.

It is possible for the antibodies to cross over into the placenta, which could cause the baby to be born with low platelets as well. Because of this, we will not use a vacuum or forceps during the delivery, and if there is any complication that may cause bruising or bleeding for the baby, I will have an emergency c-section. Of course I don't want to have a c-section, but there's no way to know if the baby's platelets are low until after it is born, so I'm preparing for the possibility.

I'll post again tomorrow as soon as we get home!

6 comments:

Sandra said...

ohhhhh I'm excited to find out!!!! I have a friend who is pregnant with boy number five. She says all babies are boys :) I thought we were done having girls, odds were stacked up against us too (Kevin's family are mostly boys) The nice thing would be that your already prepared with boy clothes. I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow. Yikes about the costs with the blood draws.

Mindy said...

I can't wait to find out! And yes, girls are very smotherly, but mostly when they're the oldest. (I speak from experience. ;)

p.s. I'm still secretly hoping you get a girl. :)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I. CAN'T. WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Violadiva said...

Do you remember learning in math about how if you flip a penny 100 times, you'll probably get about half of each side...but that flipping it once to heads doesn't necessarily mean that it will be tails the next time? You could get 10 heads in a row, then 8 tails, then 3 heads, etc. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you have 100 kids, it would probably even out somewhere.

mommymelb said...

Ohhh....I've been wrong every time I've guessed for you! (And everytime I've guessed for me!) So I've given up guessing!

But I'm so excited to hear! Post quickly! :)

Kristi Rowley said...

Anxiously waiting to hear!