One of my favorite primary songs is "The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden". I have been singing it to my kids for years, and was so excited to plant a garden this year since we finally own a piece of land.
I think I called my Dad every day for two months (sometimes more than once a day) asking questions about gardening, planting, vegetables, growing seasons, etc. in preparation for our first garden.
When it came time to plant, I arranged for the hardware store to deliver a tiller. Todd did the tilling, but everything else has been my job. I killed out the weeds beforehand, made the furrows, planted the seeds, and have tended, weeded, watered, and babied my garden all summer long.
So you can imagine my reaction, when Todd announced last Sunday that our neighbor's brought us a goat all the way from Pleasant Grove (and that he requested it).
So this is Billy, our goat. I despise him from the tip of his horns, all the way down to his stinky toenails (which I've heard we're supposed to clip). As you can see from the picture, there's not a lot of green pasture around, and what there is will be gone within a couple weeks. I now live in fear that the stupid goat will get hungry, get off his chain, and eat my garden. I told Todd it would only take once, for my entire garden, and all my hard work to go down the drain. (Or down the goat, rather). He is well aware that there will be NO forgiveness. And yet, the goat is still here.
The good news, is that our friends Becky and Don would like to take him for a while so he can eat down all their weeds. I think it's a great idea to have a town "roving" goat. When your weeds are gone, you just pass him along. I just want our turn to be AFTER the harvest.
Oh, and by the way, the tomatoes in the picture are the first two things we picked from the garden. We've also picked radishes, spinach, and lettuce. I am anxiously awaiting zucchini, red potatoes, green beans, lots more tomatoes, and hopefully a few peas and carrots (the pea's and carrots didn't do so well).
The good news, is that our friends Becky and Don would like to take him for a while so he can eat down all their weeds. I think it's a great idea to have a town "roving" goat. When your weeds are gone, you just pass him along. I just want our turn to be AFTER the harvest.
Oh, and by the way, the tomatoes in the picture are the first two things we picked from the garden. We've also picked radishes, spinach, and lettuce. I am anxiously awaiting zucchini, red potatoes, green beans, lots more tomatoes, and hopefully a few peas and carrots (the pea's and carrots didn't do so well).






5 comments:
Was there a reason Todd requested the goat?
Our dog got into our garden last year and ate all my zucchini, and tried to eat the pumpkins and melons. There was no forgiveness there either!
So good luck with your goat!
Jon's convinced that it would be great to have a goat and a cow someday. I share your sentiments exactly...
Good luck.
My dear husband would love to have an entire herd of goats... if for no other reason than to be "living lawn movers." I harbor suspicions that any gardening he does with a goat involved would be very frustrating to the gardner, not necessarily the goat!
Post a Comment