Monday, September 27, 2010

Brayden in the bulrushes

Brayden just finished his science project on bulrushes. I have fond memories of doing school projects like this, because my Dad always helped me and he had great idea's.

When I was in fourth grade I had to make a diorama of a Native American scene. I don't know if Dad will remember this, but he taught me how to shade the red rock background with crayons. He also helped me make a mini loom out of popsicle sticks and thread, and I used yarn to make a small woven rug. I hand sewed an Indian woman using an old nylon sock and some burlap (I even braided black yarn for her hair), and I used clay to make some pots with berries in them.

While we were in Cache Valley last weekend, Grandpa drove out to the Bear River and cut these bulrushes for Brayden to use in his project. We tied them onto his poster with embroidery floss.
Brayden also had to make a diorama. He used bakeable clay to make the animals. I sacrificed a few bunches of fake grass from my easter decor for the bulrushes (sniff...I love my fake grass). We got online and Brayden chose this picture to use as a background and then we printed it out (I love technology...)
A better view of the animals (left to right: egret, fish, ducks, muskrat, heron)
The nests have eggs hot glued inside
My injury from those damn eggs...
After we had researched bulrushes online, Brayden said,
"I never knew that bulrushes were so interesting." :o)

8 comments:

Cathy Brian said...

Me either Brayden, and I never knew that they could make such a pretty scene.

bevanmission said...

I feel so guilty for laughing at your glue-burned finger! I'm sorry! Brayden's Bulrush project really looks great! Love looking at all of little details! Fantastic job!

Mindy said...

And THAT is what makes all of this worth it... when our kids find learning interesting! :) Good job, mom! Sorry about the burn. :(

Charlotte said...

That's a seriously impressive diorama. And apparently you didn't give birth to the portion of your brain that remembered your 4th grade project. Wow... I barely remember the name of my 4th grade teacher.

Sandra said...

That diorama is awesome. Good Job Brayden.

Shell said...

I would love to see your diorama!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Wow, I'm speechless!

Cami said...

Wow, you really set the bar high. What is Caleb's diorama going to look like next year?