Sunday, October 03, 2010

Thank you for being a friend

My friend and next-door-neighbor, Andrea, moved away on Friday.

It still hasn't really hit me.

It occurred to me after she left that even though we've talked nearly every day for the last four years, we never took a single picture together.

She's one of those friends I could be myself with, and never worry 'cause she didn't judge. For the first year that I lived here we talked on the phone every single day for at least an hour.

I don't know what I would've done without her.

She listened to me cry when my father-in-law got cancer, and was there for me through two miscarriages.
We exchanged dinners, watched each others kids, and listened to each others "crazy". We talked about anything and everything from parenting, to money, to conference talks, to small town ways, to cleaning tips, recipes, gardening secrets, and ways to be better mothers. We watered each others lawns and fed each others dogs while the other was out of town. Our kids got along fabulously and spent hours together playing in our two yards. We celebrated birthdays, and holidays together. We helped each other paint. We broke into each others houses (and closets) for forgotten temple recommends. We printed documents when the other was out of ink. When my fridge died this summer, she let me store all my food in her fridge while she was out of town. Whenever I had a question about our insurance, or the kids school schedules, or anything related to math, I knew I could count on her. She is talented in the area's I lack.

And I will miss her.

I know we'll keep in touch, but it's not the same as being neighbors. Our new neighbors moved in yesterday, and it was weird to see the lights on last night, knowing that everything is different inside.


Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true
You're a pal and a confidant

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see, the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say,

Thank you for being a friend.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

I know just how you feel... when I moved away from Rigby I left behind my backyard friend, Annette. (Our back yards were right next to each other). I could go borrow things from her house when she was out of town, or just go chat while she cleaned her bathrooms. She let me borrow swimsuits when I went to Cabo with Brandon... and our kids got along great. I still miss her, and it's been 3 years. We just ran a marathon together, and we still talk, but I miss having that backyard connection, and the things that came with it. Sigh.

mommymelb said...

I'm so sorry that your friend moved. I feel like Mindy, when I moved from West Bountiful and had to leave Stacy! I moved on the day of her mother-in-law's funeral, and I pulled my car into her empty driveway and called her phone and left the sorriest, good-bye on her phone and cried and cried.

I still miss her everyday! So I am sorry that Andrea is gone for you. I'm sure it's harder to be the one that's left behind and so I hope that everything goes well for you.

If you ever are bored and need someone to talk to for an hour in the morning, give me a call! :) :) It may be a long time since we were neighbors (or roomies!) but I still love you like a sister! :)

Sandra said...

Sorry you have lost your friend. Well not really "lost" just not as accessible. I hope she didn't move far so you can still see her at times. Plus with the wonderful technology you can still keep in touch :) I feel the same way about my twin sister. She lives three hours away but we talk almost everyday. It would be tougher for you since you got to see her everyday. Hope your relationship with the new family moves in goes as well as it did with the previous one.

Andrea said...

Thanks!