Monday, March 23, 2009

my weekend

Well, I spoke to soon on Friday morning, 'cause after I blogged that I felt better, I opened my cupboard to put away a dish, and the world started spinning again.

Saturday, however, was much better. I've spent so much time lying around, that I was dying for a project and I dove into a BIG one. I've hated my kitchen cabinets since we moved in. They are cheap, plain, and worn out in some places. I'm not a huge fan of painting cabinets...I would much prefer new ones, but that is not an option, and in this case I think painting can only improve the stituation.

I decided awhile back to do them one section at a time, so it wouldn't be so overwhelming. It still took me the ENTIRE day to sand, prime, paint three coats, and then finish with a clear coat. Here's the first section:

Someday I may add some framed beadboard, or a decorative moulding to the front of my PLAIN cabinets...but today is not that day, so for now I'm going to add interest by hanging pictures on the three doors that you actually see when you walk in the room.

About 4 years ago, my friend gave me three chicken/rooster pictures from a calendar she had, and I STILL have them! (thanks Nicole!) When I moved here, I was glad I already had a chicken theme going 'cause it works with my "oh so orange" countertops.

I'm just waiting on Todd to make the last frame...and I am welcoming any opinions on what color I should paint them. I'm going to hang them from ribbon so I don't have to put a nail hole on the front.

I also did a little crafting this weekend. I took a couple packages of these dollar store eggs on a stick, pulled off the cheap ribbon, painted a few of them, and then covered them in mod-podge and glitter.


Then I took one of the flowered plastic cups that came with our house, and spray painted it cream. I added a piece of ribbon from my stash, and a $1.79 piece of greenery from Tai Pan......and now I have an easter bouquet!
I told Todd that I had taken these dollar store eggs, and brought them "up" to at least a Target level :o)

Last week, I took some ugly painted styrofoam eggs, and mod-podged some fabric on them, before covering them with glitter. Todd mentioned that he's a bit tired of all the glitter around, and I told him I'm a bit tired of all the testosterone around. He got the message...
I keep finding these wooden candlesticks at DI. I guess I'm the only one who wants them :o) I painted them cream, and I'm searching for the perfect ribbon. There's a shortage of cute ribbon where I live (among other things...)

While I had my mod-podge out, I took a piece of fabric that I love, and mod-podged it to the back of a clear plate to hang in our bedroom. I think I just found a new obsession.

And now it's time to start the spring cleaning...

14 comments:

mommymelb said...

So cute Felicia! I so need your decorating help at my house!

I love your cabinets! I think you chose wisely there. :)

Cami said...

I love all the new ideas and glitter! I hope the dizziness is all gone.

The Mann Clann said...

I love your creations. It made me think about Pres. Uchtdorf's admonition that we need to express our creativity in order to find happiness. While I'm not even close to being as creative as you, I find that if I let the house go to pot, but create something I really like I'm much happier! Sounds like the perfect thing after a week of being sick. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Sandra said...

Wow I'm impressed. You are very creative. Have they found out why you are getting so dizzy?

The Mann Clann said...

Felicia, here is the link to his talk:
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-37,00.html

Print it out and make Todd read it out loud next time he complains ;).

V and Co. said...

hey those all turned out sooo good!
the cabinets turned out great!

Felicia said...

Oops, "Mann Clann", I have to clarify. Todd is REALLY good about letting me craft and decorate all I want (glitter and all). It's ME that worries about that balance between using my talents, and obsessing over things that don't really matter.

When I tell him that I'm happiest when I'm creating something...he's just sitting their listening (and probably wondering what he got himself into...) :o)

haley said...

it looks great... and i too have a new found obsession with candle sticks. i love the egg idea... gunna have to copy that one!

Rachel Holloway said...

DANG LITTLE LADY! You have been a crafting queen! I love all your projects. Those Easter crafts are ADORABLE! And your cupboards look amazing!

Mindy said...

I laughed out loud with the glitter vs. testosterone banter. You are the best! I love all of your projects!

Ashton and Shanda Call Family said...

I don't know how you do all this! You are amazingly creative!

Kellee said...

You are simply amazing with things like this! I love the egg candles!

Shell said...

Geez girl...you could make a diaper pail look amazing! I'm constantly in awe of your creativity and craftiness. And you make it all look so dang nice too!

Nicole said...

I love your white cabinets! They look wonderful! And your easter creations are beautiful, I love the egss on the candle sticks, it looks like that's just where they were meant to be. How are you feeling? any better?