Tuesday, July 06, 2010

"May the 4th be with you"

We celebrated our independence yesterday, on the 5th, because Todd was on-call and had to work on Saturday and Sunday.

We started our day with a little work:
Organizing the shed

Then we moved on to the fun stuff. The boys had a great time with their bow and arrows
(No, we're not camping...our backyard just looks like this. One day we'll have grass...)

After a picnic dinner I got out some "Monster Snap" fireworks. I bought three boxes, not realizing that I had a fourth "boy" who wanted to play, too. Luckily, the [younger] boys were willing to share.

(Although Todd got grounded for throwing snaps at other kids' feet...)

These unsuspecting ants didn't have their best day...
The minute we lit the sparklers, Brayden and Caleb headed straight for their anthill to do a little damage. It was as if they had planned it beforehand...
Fried ants on a stick...

When the destruction ended, Brayden informed me that he only got two ant bites...

Then we made S'mores over the fire, before we got out our super-amazing fireworks.
(We sprung for the $10 pack this year)

I wanted to go over the mountain to watch the "real" fireworks, but the boys chose a holiday at home, and I think they had a great time.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Looks like they had a good time, except for the ant bites.

bevanmission said...

Don't remember frying ants when we were young, but, your mother and I did pour salt on unsuspecting snails! (I hope your boys don't read this!)