Friday, August 13, 2010

The day after Christmas

I've done a lot of pondering today.

My mom left this morning. The house is clean (even the blinds...thanks Mom!), the boys are playing Wii, and all is calm.

It feels like the day after Christmas.

You spend so much time and energy preparing for one day, and then it finally comes and it goes by so quickly...while you're in a dreamlike state, and then just like that, life moves on.

There's almost a sense of sadness, and yet...Would I go back in time to last week if given the chance? No way!

But I already miss the anticipation.

It truly is a miracle, how a doctor can hand you a crying, purple, bloody baby, while three complete strangers are running around with towels and gloves and staring at your crotch, and in that one single instant it makes up for all the morning sickness, constipation, hemmorrhoids, mood swings, weight gain, crotch pain, and heartburn.

I have fallen head over heals in love with this dark haired little boy. When he rolled over from his tummy to his back this morning, I wanted to cry because I know how fast he'll grow up. And I'm not ready for it.

My mother-in-law swears that I will just "know" when I'm finished having kids, but I still cannot fathom NOT doing this again.

Perhaps in a couple weeks, when I'm helping one kid with homework, while nursing the baby and listening to another kid plunk away at his piano lesson, and dinner is burning on the stove, and I'm behind on laundry, and I realize that we're out of dog food and I have to run to the store before they close in ten minutes...I might change my mind.

But for now, I sure love having this new little spirit in our home. And even though I got the perfect gift, the anticipation is over and it's time to move on...and grow up...and I can't help feeling a little bit sad at the thought that he might be my last baby.

I don't want to think about it. So I guess I'll try my best to enjoy every minute, and I hope that when I have "one of those days" I will remember my feelings today.

Cooking and cleaning can wait 'til tomorrow
For babies grow up, I've learned to my sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep



10 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh my goodness, he's cute! I'm glad you're enjoying each moment! You deserve a dozen babies if you want them! :)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

:)

Gabe and Anna Family said...

He is so precious! Cherish each moment because time slips away from us so quickly. I am so happy for you and I hope we'll get a chance to see each other in the near future.

smdc said...

He is completely adorable! Congratulations!

Kristi Rowley said...

I understand your feelings. I have tried to take advantage of every moment with Samantha..."telling myself" she is the last. But I have yet to feel that feeling that people say you get when you know you are done. Like you said, maybe it will come.
Once again, Congrats! I'm so happy for you.

Rachel Holloway said...

I wanted to wish you a huge congrats! I am so glad he finally is HERE and in your beautiful family!! It was almost as if you were writing this very post FOR me--FROM my mouth...because those are the very thoughts I have had--
I don't know how people have that DONE feeling...how they know...but I would sure love in on the secret because for me, for now, and how I feel, there is no way it could be over! LOVE that sweet spirit and special time...enjoy it!

Cathy Brian said...

Yes, Life goes on. just a little bit better.

Sandra said...

I love that picture, so cute. I've heard from others that you will "know" your done too but I still wonder. My aunt said it took till her youngest was two before she knew. By then I usually have another one ready ha ha. I'm so glad things are going well and that your Mom was able to come and help.A clean house to come home to would be so wonderful. When I hear stories about others Moms helping out like that I feel sad for myself. My Mom came up for Danika for a 1 day and hasn't been up with any of the rest. Thats just the way she is and I've come to deal with it. She didn't see Andrew till he was two months old. I'm surprised he has already rolled to his back, he's too little for that.

Nicole said...

Congratulations Todd and Felicia! He is absolutely beautiful! I love all that dark hair. Like a lot of the others who have commented, I'm still waiting for that done feeling too, and it hasn't come, not sure I even want it too (yet anyways). I always pictured myself with 4 kids, but now I'm not so sure. Were trying to sell out little house right now, because I feel so strongly there is still another. Congratulations again, I'm so excited for you guys!

bevanmission said...

Love your perspective when contemplative! Very tender and endearing post! Thanks!