I introduced a new incentive program to my boys for FHE last night.
Their school theme this year is TEAM (together everyone achieves more) so I thought it would be fun to do something sports related at home to encourage them to do their chores.
Yesterday I made this football field chart, before calling Todd at work to ask him how to play football, and came up with a basic plan.
The boys each have a football marker that starts on the 50 yard line. Their regular chores, (which are homework, piano, feed dog, clean room, and stack wood) are worth 10 yards each. When they get a touchdown, they get 30 minutes of computer or Wii time. If they whine, cause contention, or fail to finish their basic jobs before dinner, they get a penalty flag which sends them back 10 yards. If their jobs are done early (by 4:00) they can kick for an extra point and get a prize. What is that extra point prize, you ask? I have no idea. I'll have to come up with something. I'm still figuring this thing out, so if you have any idea's or suggestions, please share.
(Todd's in a meeting right now, so I just had to call my brother to clarify the "after point" rules, and I also learned about field goals and running the ball in for 2 points after a touchdown. I think for now we'll just do touchdowns and one "after point")
They can ask for extra jobs to earn extra yardage, either to make up for a penalty, or to earn more game time.
So far, since they've been home, they've VOLUNTARILY done all their regular chores, plus cleaned the family room, the living room, the kitchen table, the bathroom counter, emptied the dishwasher, carried the laundry downstairs, watered the garden, and organized the coat rack.
It's a miracle!
I don't know how long it will last, but if I get a week out of it, it will have been well worth my time. Maybe I should just make a few different charts and rotate them monthly. The jobs haven't changed, but their attitude sure has!






7 comments:
Wow Felicia that is great!!!! What a fun idea, I love it. Maybe ask your boys what they think the prize should be.
I love this idea - I might have to get my girls into football! I started a new piano practice incentive for my students....we'll see how long that lasts too.
What a great idea! Wish my GIRLS would go for the football chart...then I would borrow your idea!.
That's awesome. I wonder if my girls would like that, probably not as much as I would. :-)
Andrea
Absolutely an amazing and inventive idea! Can't wait to hear of all the successes with this one!
You are so clever! Glad to see pregnancy and diminished sleep hasn't killed all your brain cells...that's always been my excuse. I will definetly try this with my 12 year old...and what the heck, my husband too!
so what happens if they get a safety in other words what happens if they go back to the other goal that they are not aiming for
Post a Comment