Sunday, October 10, 2010

Autumn

I caught my boys playing football in the front yard the other day, and thought this was the perfect picture of Fall.
I may have mentioned it once or twice before, but Fall is my favorite season.

I love the crisp, cool weather.

I love pumpkin desserts.

I love my strudel and spice candles.

I love the routine of school.

I love the colors. Orange, brown, red, and green are so...ME.

We've started a tradition of having family movie night on Fridays. This weekend we watched Hook. The kid's had never seen it, but they liked it.

I remembered a popcorn glaze that my Mom used to make when I was young. I called her and asked about it, and she gave me what she thought was the recipe. It turned out to be the stuff I remembered, and the kids loved it. I love that it's super easy, super cheap, and not sticky like caramel corn.

Mother Goose Popcorn

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. butter
food coloring
large bowl of popcorn

Bring the sugar and water to a rolling boil (stirring constantly). Boil for 3 minutes exactly. Do not overcook. Remove from heat. Add baking soda, butter, and any food coloring. Pour over popcorn. Stir until popcorn is coated and starting to dry.

Note: I used 1/2 cup popcorn kernels in my air popper. Next time I think I'll either make more popcorn (3/4 cup?), or use a little less of the syrup because it was coated REALLY well, and by the time we got to the bottom of the bowl, it was more like eating sugar cubes :oP

3 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Oooh, that recipe looks super delish. I'm gonna try that on our next movie night!

bevanmission said...

Wow! Memories from our (your mom's and my) years of growing up, too! Those popcorn balls were a staple for almost every single Primary activity - and in those days we had alot of Modesto II Ward Primary parties in the old red brick chapel on Orangeburg Ave! I remember those popcorn balls, too! Much better than the hard caramel popcorn balls - and they were always in different colors to match the current season or holiday! Great would make them in the extra extra large old square tupperware container the she also hand kneeded her bread dough. (The round one was too small)!

Sandra said...

yum...I love all the fall treats too :)