Monday, April 06, 2009

It's just like The Truman Show...

My friend Cathy, who comments here as "Cowboy Mom", asked me if I could be the crossing guard for her this morning.

It probably helps that it was a sunny morning and it actually looked like Spring, but it was a great reminder of what I love about this town.

It was just like The Truman Show, where every morning starts "on cue".
At 7:43 the crossing guard turns on the blinking lights, and sets out the cones. The town is quiet, but it won't be long before kids start coming to school, and the businesses open for the day.

I sat back and smiled as I watched the flag go up at the Forest Service. Sister Brown and Sister Olsen pulled into the bank, and someone I don't know (yet) came outside to wash the front door windows at Aspen.

I helped a few kids cross the street, and then watched some more. Sister Anderson and Brother Faddis arrived at Aspen, and then my home teacher, Brother Shaw pulled in trying to see through the tiny hole he had scraped in his window (last time I played crossing guard, he had his head out the window) Sorry, Julie, I had to add that part :o) I was doing the same thing, but nobody was out at 7:43 to see it.

I looked to my left in time to see Sister Stevens, who I visit teach, waving at me from her car. I waved back and wondered if that counts for the month?

Then comes Brother Hamilton, walking to the Forest Service with a smile and a wave. I've always liked him. I think he knew my Uncle David when they both lived in North Dakota. It is somehow comforting when you move to a place you've never been, and find someone who knows one of your relatives.

Down the street I see Brother Draney coming in his wheelchair. I think of how he's probably a bit dissappointed that I'm the crossing guard today, because he won't get to have his usual correspondence with Cowboy Mom's son, Chance, who calls him "Mr. Fantastic".

When Sister Brian's van pulls around the corner, I know that the last of the kids have made it to school, and I can take the cones down, and take off the bright orange vest. I wonder to myself how many people are going to check on "cowboy mom" today, since she wasn't in her usual position this morning, and I guarantee people noticed.

Thanks, Cathy, for the opportunity to have watched the town wake up this morning. This little town is quiet, predictable, and everybody knows my name. I love it.

6 comments:

girlsmama said...

I love it! Maybe Novell will open a satellite office in Loa.

Sandra said...

Sounds like a nice quiet neighborhood your in. Did you take your boys with you?

Cathy Brian said...

Hey, no problem. That is my favorite part about my little service to the community. watching the whole town wake up. I also love the fact that the two 10-15minute rush hours in town are the 15 minutes that I sit on the corner, and cause the 2 minute traffic jams while 10 kids cross the street. Funny enough, I've always loved living here and wouldn't trade my spot for any, but having been raised in the city I know exactly what you talked about in your last blog. and I can't seem to stop those irritating feelings that it takes two hours of travel time to run grab just about everything.

Nicole said...

It sounds like a cute little town. I loved your post below, that's one thing I love about your blog is that you are "real"! Your ancestor reminds me of one of Corwins. I was reading about her one day when I was struggling with post partum after McKay. She ended being put in an asylum in Salt Lake while family raised her children. It made me so thankful for modern medicine, or I'm afraid they would have stuck me in an "asylum" a long time ago!

Sharee said...

Hi Felicia!
Yep, it's totally me! Now we are connected through two cousins of mine. Too funny! Your family is adorable! Kim just had her fifth child. She's amazing. I'll give her your info...

Julie said...

Yeah my husband is a danger to the community with his little square he tries to see through. That's what you get though when your window is still snowy and icy in April! Yeah I always think it's wierd that at like 9pm it's like a Ghost Town here but then like fair week or 4th of July it almost seems like people are pouring out of everywhere...