Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pinewood Derby

Brayden had his first Pinewood Derby last Thursday night, and boy am I glad it's over!

I was in charge of the "Kid Zone" where we had tables set up with coloring, playdough, car-painting, a car mat, and noodle collages. It worked great...we managed to avoid the chaos from bored siblings (and even scouts) running around the gym.

Brayden designed the car himself...down to every color.

Todd used a pattern from a book that Brayden got for Christmas to cut it out.

We were so proud of Brayden. His car lost EVERY race, and he handled it so well. During one of the races, his car and the other car crashed at the bottom, and the other car lost a wheel. He said, "My car isn't good at winning, but it's good at crashing!"

One of the wheels on his car was crooked, due to the cut in the block of wood he got. Todd looked up the rules and found that you HAVE to use the original cut, so they did. I'm just glad that Brayden was okay with the results.

Some of the competition:

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Tyler's first year he lost EVERY race too... I think there should be some kind of award for that! Hooray for our good sports!!

girlsmama said...

I love the idea of the kids corner! I'll have to incorporate that one. :)

As soon as I get my machine back and we fisnish moving, I'll get some tops together and send them your way!

Rachel Holloway said...

Hey--just wanted to let you stalk you this morning to get Char's number. It was sure fun to chat for a few minutes and get the low down. :) Hope to see you when we come out in June!

Sandra said...

Thats so good that he handled it well. Good job Brayden.