
The Bad: Waking up at 3:30 AM to the sound of my six year old gasping for air to breathe.
The Good: Living in a community with a wonderful doctor (who gave a great high-council talk on Sunday) and an on-call nurse (in our ward) who were willing to meet us at the local clinic in the middle of the night, since our hospital is so far away.
The Bad: Nearly hitting four bull elk in the middle of the next town over, while going 80 miles an hour, without contacts, trying to get to the clinic a little faster. (I should add that the speed limit is 65 going into the town, so I wasn't going too far over the speed limit...)
The Good: After a priesthood blessing and breathing the cold night air, Caleb arrived at the clinic still wheezing, but sounding a lot better, and able to talk.
The Bad: Throwing up during his x-ray (that would be Caleb, not me). Yes, the good ol' x-ray machine. I have issues with the x-ray machine at our clinic. I've sworn I'd never have an x-ray done there again because it's so fuzzy, I always have to pay to have it re-done in the hospital, but what do you do at 4:00 AM?
The Good: Finding the problem (Croup and tonsillitis) so it could be treated immediately with steroids and a breathing treatment. His trachea was so swollen it was nearly closed off. We are also very grateful that we don't have to pay for a tonsillectomy right now (and do it in a hospital that requires "permission" from Provo to do the surgery).
The Bad: All those payments I made two years ago on our nebulizer that Dillon used twice.
The Good: We actually HAVE a nebulizer and now we're getting our money's worth.
The Bad: The taste of the steroid medication that poor Caleb has to take for the croup, and the TEN DAY antibiotic for his tonsillitis.
The Good: I got out of making a quadruple batch of frosting for 19 kids to make gingerbread houses at school on Friday, AND I don't have to go to the school to help with the project... :o)
And don't forget The Ugly: Me, and the nurse, at the clinic at 4:00 AM with messy hair, bags under our eyes, and no make-up...it was NOT pretty.
The Good: Living in a community with a wonderful doctor (who gave a great high-council talk on Sunday) and an on-call nurse (in our ward) who were willing to meet us at the local clinic in the middle of the night, since our hospital is so far away.
The Bad: Nearly hitting four bull elk in the middle of the next town over, while going 80 miles an hour, without contacts, trying to get to the clinic a little faster. (I should add that the speed limit is 65 going into the town, so I wasn't going too far over the speed limit...)
The Good: After a priesthood blessing and breathing the cold night air, Caleb arrived at the clinic still wheezing, but sounding a lot better, and able to talk.
The Bad: Throwing up during his x-ray (that would be Caleb, not me). Yes, the good ol' x-ray machine. I have issues with the x-ray machine at our clinic. I've sworn I'd never have an x-ray done there again because it's so fuzzy, I always have to pay to have it re-done in the hospital, but what do you do at 4:00 AM?
The Good: Finding the problem (Croup and tonsillitis) so it could be treated immediately with steroids and a breathing treatment. His trachea was so swollen it was nearly closed off. We are also very grateful that we don't have to pay for a tonsillectomy right now (and do it in a hospital that requires "permission" from Provo to do the surgery).
The Bad: All those payments I made two years ago on our nebulizer that Dillon used twice.
The Good: We actually HAVE a nebulizer and now we're getting our money's worth.
The Bad: The taste of the steroid medication that poor Caleb has to take for the croup, and the TEN DAY antibiotic for his tonsillitis.
The Good: I got out of making a quadruple batch of frosting for 19 kids to make gingerbread houses at school on Friday, AND I don't have to go to the school to help with the project... :o)
And don't forget The Ugly: Me, and the nurse, at the clinic at 4:00 AM with messy hair, bags under our eyes, and no make-up...it was NOT pretty.






13 comments:
Yuck! Been there done that. But unlike you I live 5 minutes from a Trauma 1 hospital. I'm so sorry the nasty cough progressed to croup and more. I wish you and Caleb a speedy recovery. We always have a nebulizer and meds on hand as two of our darlings like to turn blue. Good luck!
Oh I hate croup! There is nothing more scary!!!!
Good luck! I'll keep your family in my prayers
Oh man...good luck with your poor little sickie. :(
Oh boy, have we been there. Well not there there... just in Newton. We had plenty of drives to the hospital with croupy kids, though, and it's not fun. We're also the owners of a nebulizer. Fun stuff, that's for sure! I'm glad you have people who are willing to help you in the middle of the night, and I'm glad Caleb is doing alright. I'm sure you didn't look that bad... you're beautiful no matter what the hair and makeup situation! ;)
Yucky, yucky, yuck! Wising you and Caleb a speedy recovery.
Wow sounds like a crazy night. I'm glad all turned out well. That would freak me out to hear him gasping for air! Hope he's feeling better soon.
No Pictures?
Wow! pretty drastic way to get out of this gingerbread project. Teasing, I hope Calebs feeling better. You, too!
Oh goodness. I'm glad Caleb is doing better!
oh! I am sorry to hear that. It truly sucks when kids are ill!!
I love your style of writing about all the "fun" though!
Oh my! Looks like it was a bit crazy. I hope he's alright.
Why does it always happen in the middle of the night? Why can't it happen after you have had a good restful night's sleep and then showered and gotten dressed for the day? I am glad, however, that he is doing better and hope you can make it through the ten days of medicine (which I hate doing) and that he will be back to normal in no time. And are you feeling better yet?
Hope you guys are doing better. I am so grateful for modern medicine and technology!
Hey, I just set my blog to private. I don't have your e-mail and I don't know if you even check my blog, but if you do, send me an e-mail address and I'll invite you. joe5clark@msn.com I think you were the only e-mail of friends who have ever commented on my blog whose e-mail I don't have.
Post a Comment