Monday, November 03, 2008

Humbled


Yesterday morning, after I had done my hair for church, I stepped into the kitchen and saw the fast offering check that Todd had written, laying on the table.

I looked at him and said, "Do you realize that when this check clears, I will not be able to go to the grocery store this week?"

He said, "We need the blessings...how can we not?"

And I said, "I'm not talking about NOT paying, I'm talking about paying LESS...at least let me buy milk this week".

He said, "Do we have it in savings?"

And I said, "Yes"

And he said, "Then transfer it".

I knew he was right, so I let it go. I know full well the importance of paying tithing/fast offerings, so who am I to argue about the amount?

Then we got to church, and it turns out that our Area Authority Seventy, Elder Dan Jones, was presiding at our meeting. After the testimony portion of sacrament meeting, he was given a few minutes to speak.

He told us that as he sits in different wards, he receives inspiration and thoughts about the things he should say. He said that he felt impressed to stress the importance of paying our tithing and fast offerings. (At this point, Todd turned and gave me a smug look, which I deserved) Before General Conference, Elder Jones was in a meeting with Pres. Packer, who told the seventies that "the people need to be reassured during these difficult economic times". He (Elder Jones) promised us that as we paid our tithes and offerings, we would be given comfort and direction in the decisions we make. He closed by bearing his testimony that the ANSWER to the economic challenges that our world is facing, is in paying tithes and offerings.

Let me just TRY to tell you how grateful I was that I hadn't re-written our fast offering check for $5 less. I was at peace all day because of what I HADN'T done. If I'd paid less, I think I would've been stressed all day.

We have our food storage. We are going to be just fine this week without going to the store. I tried giving Dillon powdered milk this morning, just to see what he thought, and he didn't even notice. Some "sacrifice" this is going to be...

How grateful I am for my husband, and his vision....and his lack of looking at our checking account :o) Because he didn't know the numbers, he just wrote out the check. I worry too much about the numbers, but really the most important thing is faith. I know that we'll be just fine this week, because we've paid our tithing and our fast offering.

4 comments:

mommymelb said...

You will be blessed! I know it! Thank you for sharing this with us. It's something that I need to think about and do too!

And my ward is having a HUGE food storage/recipe thing later this month. I'll send you recipes I get to use with a "Basic" food storage (and beyond) if you want!

Kellee said...

Amen! Joe and I have a testimony of tithes and offerings too. We had a gospel doctrine teacher ask several months ago..."do you want $10 blessings or $50 blessings?" He wasn't telling us how much to pay, but it got us thinking about our little amount we have always paid and we have truly been blessed by pushing our faith to the limit a little more and paying more and making it more of a sacrifice. You will definitely be blessed!

Shell said...

Don't you love it when something seems aimed right at you and the speaker doesn't even know you? Oh, and when you do buy your milk, try not to leave it in the back of the van for six hours before you remember to bring it inside like I just did this weekend!

smdc said...

If you're looking for food storage recipes and stuff, check out the everydayfoodstorage link on my website... my cousin's wife from the other side of the family does it, and it's great!

Thanks for sharing your experience! These will be tough times, but if we are obedient and willing to share what we have with others, we will be blessed!