November 4, Election Day: I woke up before the alarm went off. I didn't sleep much. Weeks and weeks of phone calls, door-knocking, sign-posting and re-posting, blogging, Facebook-ing--and of course--praying, all pointed to this moment.
7:00 am. The polls open.
8:00 am. Our zip code coordinator comes by our house to deliver my poll-watching assignment.
9:00 am. I visit two different precincts trying to find where VD and I are registered to vote (recently moved after registering).
10:00 am. Empty ballot in hand, I walk solemnly to my private voting booth. Everyone in line conveys a similar attitude of reverence and respect for the privilege of taking part in the government of our people. I open the ballot to the Propositions page...there it is! I carefully square the ink-puncher over the "yes" on the eighth proposition. Albeit less grandiose an act, I cannot help thinking of Moroni raising the Title of Liberty: "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children" (emphasis added). I return my completed ballot. Little me, one out of nine million California voters who will hover their ink-puncher over the "yes" or the "no" spot. But I know my voice is heard, and I know where I stand. That's what voting is all about.
11:00 am. My poll-watching is well underway. I have three different precinct lists of registered voters who told us previously their intention to vote "yes" on 8. I compare my lists with the publicly-released street indexes of persons who have already voted. Each time I cross out a name, it's almost like punching another "yes" on the ballot.
12:00 noon. I report in to headquarters to provide the results of my most recently updated lists. (I still get a little choked up every time I think about what I saw.) There in the warehouse of Interstate Batteries were rows of tables lined with people in all the chairs, people my age, my parents' age, my grandparents' age, with cell phones in hand, lists of persons being called. Power strips for chargers, laptops and printers for up-to-date info, food and water bottles for the masses...Everything about the setup evoked images of a mobilized army, ready at a moment's notice to heed the call of the commanding officer.
1:00 pm. Phone calls take a priority over poll-watching from now until 4:00 pm. So, I grab a stack of names and start dialing. I speak with one woman who says she doesn't understand English. "¿Puedo hablar con Usted en espaƱol, entonces?" I talk with her about Prop 8. She says she still hasn't decided which way to vote. My heart racing--much like a young soldier in battle--I immediately wield my sword... I translate my prescripted thoughts into Spanish. By the end of the conversation she says, "Yes, I will vote 'yes' on 8." I hang up to a couple of cheers from neighboring callers who had witnessed my transition from English to Spanish to a yes vote. And so the day goes on. As I am preparing to dial a new number, I overhear the woman behind me: "I am a school teacher. I, and most of my friends are voting 'yes' on 8. Don't believe those TV ads..." When she hangs up, she crosses off the name, adding another 'yes' to the final count. We cheer the school teacher on.
4:00 - 7:50 pm. The pace accelerates. Amid my frequent trips from poll-watching locations to headquarters, the full-time callers move into the final phase: no more leaving messages on voice mail, only targeted calls to "high yield" areas (demographics where a "yes" vote would be most likely.) Joined by VD for the final stretch, we make calls and look forward to crossing the finish line together.
8:00 pm. The army disbands. The tables and chairs are put up, and we all return to our homes.
Every ten minutes for the next 12 hours. We watch as the numbers trickle in. VD sees the first results: "We're winning!" Those are perhaps the best words chosen to describe this ongoing fight. I wish there were a way we could triumphantly declare: "We won!" But deep down, each of us knows the war is far from over. I'm pleased to see the results of our efforts. I'm honored beyond measure to ever be part of such an army, defending truth and virtue. The days and years that lie ahead will surely present greater challenges still. But I take courage in VD's simple expression: "We're winning." May it ever be so.
Thursday, November 06, 2008
We won the battle...but the war rages on
I copied this entry from my brother, "pianoman's" blog. I hope he doesn't mind. I'm just so darn proud of all that he and his wife, and also my cousin, have done to help pass proposition 8 in California. I wanted this recorded in my "journal" too.
Labels:
reality check,
testimony
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
Your post title says it perfectly. I've been watching my normal television shows today be interupted by breaking news about the Los Angelos temple, I'm not sure how to feel. I'm sad, scared, it awe. It feels like what we've been taught would happen all along is finally starting to come to pass. Off the topic, but I loved your post below about tithing, we are so blessed to have such strong faithful husbands :)
Thanks for sharing this. It was a good thing that came out of Tuesday! I was so glad to see it happen.
Thanks for sharing experiences from the battle front! It's neat to know what is really going on. I am so saddened by how the world is making us into villians and horrible people... it is a hard battle, and one that probably won't ever be finished.
Just had to clarify... I don't think we are villians or horrible people... we're just be called that!
how amazing that was to read. i teared up right along with him. that is such a treasured time for them and all of us as well. as he said the war is far from over but look at what an be done if we all band together. thanks to felicia's brother for what you all did. i know there were many helping, but this is more personal through a friend and i want to say thank you for your efforts.
As I was watching the news last night it was amazing how many protesters are still at it. I admire your brother and all those who worked so hard. I don't want to think about all the things that would happen if it was voted against. It would roll into other problems if you know what I mean.
Awesome post by your brother...I love the war analogy, it's so accurate. I agree with Nicole, all those things we've been warned about are coming true. It's good to know we have strong soldiers like your brother and his wife. :)
I am humbled and speechless. All I can say is, "Thank you." But my spirit sings a much greater song.
Post a Comment