Since I've been completely annoyed by the presidential campaign/debates/bickering, this is a good day for me. It is almost over. Although neither candidate is my favorite choice, I believe it is my duty to vote, so I did.You've gotta love living in a small town on a day like today. I think it took me 15 minutes to vote, and most of that time was taken up in visiting with the three ladies who verified that I was me (I visit teach one of them, and she said, "I know who you are, dear"). The remainder of the time was taken in voting, and eating the free chocolate that was provided to those of us who fulfilled our civic duty.
Heaven help the man who wins today, and heaven help all of us to step up and do our part to be less greedy, and more willing to help those around us.
I got the following FHE idea in my inbox this morning, and I love it so much that we just might do it next week. My kids came home from school yesterday, very concerned about the election today. I was surprised at what they told me about the candidates that they had learned from the kids at school. This sounds like a fun idea to teach them about the voting/campaigning process:
Pre-voting day FHE (or Post-voting day FHE, in our case)
For FHE this week, we're splitting it up into 2 nights. The FHE is based off of this from LDS living Mag: http://www.ldslivingmagazine.com/articles/show/1740
Tonight we are taking nominees for Dinner for each category: veggie, main dish, drink, dessert & side. Also tonight the kids are making "campaign" posters for their favorite candidate in the Dinner Party & hanging them up to influence voters. Tomorrow, we'll follow this up with a secret ballot at breakfast. During the day, Mom will tabulate the results and no one will know what they are until dinner is prepared later that day on Election Night. As a follow up, we'll watch some TV voting results and have discussion about it during snack/scripture time on the importance of election and following the prophets' council to protect the family. Have a great FHE!






4 comments:
That sounds like a fun family home evening, very creative. Let me know how it turns out when you try it.
You got CHOCOLATE for voting?! I bet that tastes way better than the sticker I got! And I couldn't agree more that it will be nice to not hear all the bickering and fingerpointing for a while.
I didn't get chocolate either! I was SO robbed!! ;) I really agree... I am so glad this is over! Now maybe I can think about other crappy things for a change.
They didn't have free chocolate at my voting location... bummer!
I'm with you though, God bless the new President, he'll need all the help he can get!
Post a Comment