Thursday, July 03, 2008

Everybody dies famous in a small town



Most of you know that I delivered a piece of my brain with each child, and therefore, I can't remember anything.

Within the past two months, we have been late for two dentist appointments because I remembered them about 10 minutes before we were supposed to be there, and both times we were all in our pajamas. The clinic was kind, and when I called to see if I should re-schedule, they told us to hurry and come. They ALWAYS call with a reminder the day before, but alas, I still forget.

Todd had a dentist appointment this morning and I was bound and determined to remember it. And I did. (applause, please). When we went to bed last night I started to wonder if I was crazy because we hadn't gotten our reminder call and I was just sure he had an appointment today. I mentioned it to him as we fell asleep.

This morning, however, everything became clear when we got a wake-up call at 7:45 AM, reminding him of his appointment. I guess they don't trust us to remember overnight anymore.

It reminds me of the song by Miranda Lambert called "Famous in a Small Town". The chorus goes like this:

Every last one, route one, rural heart's got a story to tell

Every grandma, in-law, ex-girlfriend

Maybe knows you just a little too well

Whether you're late for church (or the dentist) or you're stuck in jail

Hey word's gonna get around

Everybody dies famous in a small town

I guess we've made a name for ourselves...

we're the people who can't get to the dentist on time.

5 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I love that song, and now I'll think of ya'll whenever I hear it again. :)

haley said...

i just caught up on your blog... it's been a while... i'm glad validation found its way to you! i don't know how you feel so i won't pretend to, but i do feel for you!!! good luck! oh- and i've lost my mind as well- so don't feel too bad about that- i think its more common than not!

Sandra said...

Hey I'm sure it could be a lot worse! You could be known as the people who steal windshield wipers or the people who sacrifice small chickens. See don't you feel better about being late? he he

Mindy said...

I LOVE your posts about living in a small town!

V and Co. said...

haha...well its better than what our family is famous for...sigh