Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A few more things...

My sis-in-law, Viola Diva, brought up an important concern in her comment on the last post. She asked, "What about Milk duds? Do they count?"

You'll have to decide in your family if things like Milk Duds, Whoppers, Junior Mints, etc. count (since the ratio of chocolate to nasty stuff is not high enough) and then teach your children accordingly. In our house, there is a debate. Milk Duds are NOT acceptable to me, but they ARE to Todd. In this case, we let our children be the deciding vote, since they are the ones doing most of the work anyway. One could argue that anything other than a plain Hershey's bar is "polluted" with nuts, peanut butter, or caramel, but when forced to choose between polluted chocolate, or a dum dum, the choice my friends, is obvious. You may also wish to discuss tootsie rolls, since they are merely chocolate FLAVORED.

Another important thing to teach, is what the BACKSIDE of the candy bar wrapper looks like. They are usually very plain, but should never be judged by their cover. This is where the flash cards would again come in handy.

The last thing that I need to cover, is chocolate skittles. These are an abomination, and should not under any circumstances be considered chocolate.

6 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

You are so funny!
We have the annual discussion about "if you just don't go trick-or-treating we will buy you 3 bags of any candy you want". (Now, with this kind parenting skills we should be awarded Parents of the Year for sure!) :)

Violadiva said...

Could you please post a video of Caleb explaining this, as he understands it?

Sandra said...

LOL I have to show Kevin your last few posts they are funny! I myself would consider milk duds acceptable. I've never tried the chocolate skittles but from what I hear no one likes them.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

You're so right, those Chocolate Skittles are an offense to all things bright and beautiful.

Charlotte said...

I didn't even know they made chocolate skittles... gross.

Julie said...

Oh yes the chocolate skittles I wont go into too much detail other than to say it involved puking on the side of the road. *Warning* never try new things pregnant or on a family road trip. Aaron still hasn't lived that one down when a pregnant woman asks for chocolate just get her CHOCOLATE!