I received some "tender mercies" of the Lord this morning during conference. The first, being that we got to watch conference at all!We cancelled our DishNetwork in the Spring because we were tired of the monthly payment. We didn't watch enough TV to justify it. We've spent over $100 buying two different digital antenna's and an amplifier to try to get digital channels on our TV. When it works, the picture is crystal clear...but we never know if we will have a signal or not. Todd spent two hours this morning (in the rain) fiddling with our antenna, and cables, trying to get KSL to come in on our TV. I found that I could stream it on the Internet without too much pausing, but I didn't want to sit in my computer chair to watch conference...I really wanted to curl up on the couch and watch it on TV.
Ten minutes before conference started, we were pulling in 9 analog channels, but no digital channels. The channel we needed was too fuzzy to hear. I called my mom to clarify what show was on to make sure I had the right channel, and when I got back downstairs, it came in PERFECTLY.
All of a sudden, five minutes before conference started, we had 18 digital channels (we've never gotten more than 11). It is a small thing, but it meant so much to me today. There is nothing else I wanted to do, but watch conference.
I started to cry, when the choir sang "Do What is Right" because that is a song that helped my mother through a difficult time following her miscarriage at 17 weeks. The third verse reads:
"Do what is right; be faithful and fearless. Onward, press onward, the goal is in sight. Eyes that are wet now ere long will be tearless. Blessings await you in doing what's right!"
I also particularly enjoyed L. Tom Perry's talk on a Simple Life, and President Uchtdorf's talk on Hope. Here are some of his words:
The things we hope in, sustain us during our daily walk. They uphold us through trials, temptations, and sorrow. Everyone has experienced discouragement and difficulty. Indeed there are times when the darkness may seem unbearable. It is in these times, that the divine principles of the restored gospel we hope in, can uphold us and carry us until once again, we walk in the light. We hope in Jesus Christ, in the goodness of God, in the manifestations of the Holy Spirit, in the knowledge that prayers are heard and answered.
I well remember the days in my childhood encompassed by the horrors and despair of a world war; the lack of educational opportunities; life threatening health issues during youth; and the challenging and discouraging economic experiences
as a refugee.
The example of our Mother, even in the worst of times, to move forward and to put faith and hope into action, not just worrying or wishful thinking, sustained our family and me, and gave confidence that present circumstances would give way to future blessings.






9 comments:
isn't it amazing how sometimes you can watch conference and think, 'well all those talks were nice, but i didn't really hear anything that spoke to me' and then there are those times that you think, 'holy cow, that man or woman is speaking directly to me, how did they know exactly what i needed to hear right now?' those are the times that you sit there with tearing streaming and know that heavenly father loves YOU. i'm so glad that you got to watch it and hear those comforting words. heavenly father knew you needed them and made it possible for you to receive those blessings...i just love that guy! you are such a sweetheart and i just think the world of you. i'm so glad that we got to spend time together at the quilt retreat and get to know each other better.:)
I loved his talk. That is one I needed to hear. Thats awesome that you were able to watch it. Neat how it worked out.
Small blessings are sometimes the biggest miracles! I love it when it works out!
I also loved how he said that having hope was courageous. Sometimes I feel that being hopeful is just niave, so I'm very grateful for these words.
Hey Graves family. I ran across your blog through kristi rowley's blog and trina and jez. Hope you don't mind. Good to see your family. Check out our blog so you can know who this is. Brandi Wassom
I LOVE conference. And I'm grateful you shared your testimony and thoughts with us. I have experienced the tender mercies of the Lord in my life countless times and it humbles me to know that He loves us so much. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Saturday afternoon was my favorite session--one of the best kept secrets in the Church! Thank you for your insights and testimony. Hope you are doing better. You are in my prayers! (Annalee from Apron Girls)
Thank goodness for tender mercies! Still keeping you and your family in my prayers.
I was thinking of you during conference. I am so glad you heard what you needed to hear. And I echo Marianne in saying that you and your family are still in my prayers!
Post a Comment