Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Trick-or-treating skills


It's that time of year again. Time for the annual Family Home Evening lesson on trick-or-treating.

Of course, we always cover safety, and manners (always say thank you)....but the most important thing that we've tried to teach our kids is this:
When someone offers you a bowl full of assorted candy and lets you choose what you want...ALWAYS CHOOSE THE CHOCOLATE!

You can practice this most important skill with flash cards (like the picture shown) and have your child give the "right" answer as to which candy they would pick (there are lots of pictures online that you can print). The most obvious choice in this picture, is the Reese's right in the middle. But, upon further observation, you will notice that there is also a Butterfinger, AND a Milky Way. The more you practice with your flash cards, the quicker your child will be able to locate the chocolate.

You can also use our favorite method: role-playing.

Role playing is the most effective way that we have found to teach this important concept. Simply hold a bowl full of assorted candy in front of your kids, and gently slap their hands when they choose the wrong candy. It's called conditioning. And it works. And thanks to our yearly efforts, Todd and I are looking forward to enjoying Snickers, Milky Way, Reese's, Hershey's, and 100 Grands after our kids are nestled into bed this Friday night. It's a date.

For those of you who haven't bothered to teach this to your kids....enjoy the smarties and suckers.
(okay, so we really don't slap them...but you get the idea :o)

15 comments:

Sandra said...

LOL that is funny! I will have to teach my kids he he.

girlsmama said...

I love it! I personally select all the Milky Way Darks and stash them away in my secret spot.

Anita said...

You are sooooo funny! And oh so smart. Enjoy the "chocolate fruits" of your labor.

Mindy said...

Verrrry good... I like these lessons. Although, we don't resort to sneaking the chocolate after our kids are in bed... no, we make them pour out the loot, and then, because they have the privilege of being our children, we get to take the best chocolate out before they get to put the rest back in their bag. ;)

Shell said...

Ha ha! You ought to write the Halloween Trick-or-treating instruction manual, complete with tear out flashcards!

Lexi said...

Our kids get to dump out their loot for us to "look it over" (for safety of course. Then they each get to choose 2 things they really want to eat. The rest get dumped all together so there is no bickers over the candy. I love that there is an annual lesson! haha!

Lexi said...

Our kids get to dump out their loot for us to "look it over" (for safety of course. Then they each get to choose 2 things they really want to eat. The rest get dumped all together so there is no bickers over the candy. I love that there is an annual lesson! haha!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

You are so funny! I totally need to teach this to my kids. :)

Ashton and Shanda Call Family said...

I seriously laughed so hard. That was a totally awesome lesson post. I LOVED it. Thanks for sharing!

Tina said...

LOL!!!! That's hilarious. But so true. Haha... I remember Bridget getting laffy taffy and suckers when offered chocolate as well. OR the weird gummy things... like eyeballs and jelly fingers. ha, maybe we need to have this lesson too.
The conditioning example was great!

Violadiva said...

I see a few Milk Duds...are those allowed? They've got to learn not to go for the big, flashy, colorful wrappers. Chocolate wrappers are so much more subdued....

Felicia said...

Viola Diva,

Nope. Milk duds do not count. There is not enough chocolate per capita. Another important lesson to teach...

Julie said...

You are such a nut!very funny!

mommymelb said...

You are so funny. After I saw this yesterday, I tried to last minute cram this into my kids, but Cassidy's rebelling and says she will always choose the skittles.

Courtney on the other hand has been completly brainwashed and will be bringing me home some tasty treats!

I love you!

Marci said...

oh that is waaayyy toooo fuuunnnyyy!! you crack me up!