Thursday, September 04, 2008

Hell froze over

I am not an animal lover. I would certainly never hurt them intentionally, but when it comes to pets...let's just say I'd rather have another kid to take care of than an animal. Especially one in the house.

So, you can imagine my dismay, as we recently paid $10 for kitten formula and bottles. Yes, I said kitten formula.

Caleb and Skipper


Brayden and Nala
Our next door neighbors moved last week. They were supposed to move to Boise. The mom and three kids went first, to get the oldest started in school, whild Dad stayed behind to finish up his job. While mom and kids were there, they took on two little kittens whose mother had died before they were old enough to be apart. In the meantime, the Dad's boss gave him an offer he couldn't refuse, so they decided to stick around this area. Mom and kids came back, and they found a new apartment...that didn't allow pets.

So, at 9:00 the night before they moved, they came over with their kids and their kittens. The mom said, "Lori is heartbroken about giving these kittens away. The only way she says she'll do it is if they go to your boys."

Now you have to understand that Lori has recently been through a traumatic experience AND she was in our primary class. What was I supposed to do?

Yesterday morning, I stepped outside and found that one of them had died. I couldn't find the other one, but the boys were weeping and wailing all morning. Just before I took the boys to school, I found the missing one...alive, and cold. The boys went to school sobbing over their lost kitten. I came home from dropping the kids off, and found that Dillon had brought the dead kitten into my livingroom (hard, stiff, cold...) and Todd was placing it in a box to bury it. He was just about to close the flaps on the box...when it BREATHED.

So then what do you do? You stick it on a heating pad, of course. (Although, Todd suggested we put it in the freezer...you Office fans will appreciate that :o)) So I spent half my day yesterday, giving this cat a warm sponge bath, dripping formula into it's mouth, and even PRAYING for it (this was purely for Brayden's sake). By about noon the thing perked up and started walking around!

Brayden cried tears of joy when he got home from school and saw that his kitten was still alive. And now, because of all my hard work, I get to have two kittens sleeping in my kitchen at night so they don't freeze to death.

Oh, and I got on the Internet to read up on "kitten care" while I was nursing the "dead" cat, and found out that the mother cat is supposed to lick the kitten's anus to stimulate it to poop.

I don't care if Hell has frozen over. That's NOT gonna happen.

17 comments:

Charlotte said...

Ha. Glad the kitten lived (for Brayden's sake, of course).

I think a warm, wet sponge would be just as effective as a momma-cat tongue... you could have the boys do it as one of their chores. :0)

mommymelb said...

oh good luck with your new additions! I am glad they're yours and not mine! :)

I'm sure you're a better cat mommy than I would be.

Tina said...

LOL! That last part was just too much. I don't mind pets, but I'm not a cat lover. I hate that they just climb all over everything, and don't understand commands and such. So good luck to you! Glad to hear he didn't die though.

Mindy said...

Oh, my! I'm so sorry! Right after Cooper was born, our cat, Pepper Ann, who had just had kittens was ran over by a car. (I'm pretty sure she committed suicide... you know, all those baby kittens..) In my highly fragile and emotional post-birth state, it was a tragedy. I called my parents, sobbing, because I knew I couldn't take care of baby kittens AND a newborn baby, so they drove right up, took the kittens, bought expensive kitten formula... all for naught. They worked with those kittens for forever, and they all ended up dying in the end. If that happened now... I would just have Brandon take the kittens for a drive. ;)

V and Co. said...

you don't have to lick it you could massage it...hahahaha!!!! you don't want advise from me i kill cows remember?

Sandra said...

HA HA HA Oh I'm sure you could do it EWWWW!!! Thats pretty amazing that the other one was still alive.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Wow, what we won't do for our kids, huh? Good luck with the kitten adventures!

Cami said...

You are a great woman to take in orphaned kittens. I couldn't do it. I think you recieved a few mormon points:) Our neighbors who aren't mormon made that up for missionaries in texas riding bikes in dark suits with 100 degree temps and 165% humidity. They said they should recieve double mormon points for that. It might be the same as blessings in heaven.....I am excited to find out.

Jo-Anne said...

You are the nicest neighbor!
Really, you are going to HAVE to stimulate the anus or you will have no end of trouble....it's not that bad really. I agree with Charlotte--have the boys do it. A warm rag or sponge works great and there's not that much "mess". ( I swear!) Pretty soon, like in a couple of weeks, just start taking them to the litter box and they will take care of it themselves.

I wasn't a cat lover, either, but we got our cats because we hated mice more than cats. They have been a wonderful, sweet and loving addition to our family. They are smarter than you think.
I am so glad the little one came back around. These are the stories they will tell when they are older. She what mighty miracles prayer can produce! ;)
Keep us posted!

Kellee said...

We have enjoyed our cats too, although I like them a lot more now that they live outside (no more litter box or smell). They are wonderful for mice!!! One of our cats likes to lick the kids tears if they're crying and it always makes the kids smile.

I agree with the previous comment, they are smarter than people think. It reminds me of the Meet the Parents movie when Robert DeNiro explains why he likes cats :)

Good luck! Your kids will love them. They're a lot cheaper to take care of than dogs.

mom said...

I was reading the comments without my glasses and thought Cami said you got "moron points" :):) But I agree---surely you'll get points in heaven for this one :)

Felicia said...

Yeah, I think I do deserve a few MORON points. Our formula is half gone already. Did you know baby kittens are supposed to eat every two hours? My own kids didn't even eat every two hours.

Ashton and Shanda Call Family said...

HA!! That's all that came out of my mouth when I read this. I can't even say any other words. I'm laughing too hard.

Violadiva said...

I've had baby bunnies *almost* die from the cold. I called my friend in a panic, asking what to do to warm them up and get them moving again. She told me to stick the cold, little almost-dead baby bunny (that looked more like a baby rat) in my bra to get it warmed up.

Charlotte said...

Jon was totally gushing over this post- he thinks it's completely sweet of you to take in the baby kittens... and he prayed for them at dinner last night.

What a softie...

Marianne said...

Oh my heck, Felicia! I am dying here. That post was the best! Seriously. And you are a great mom! Good luck. :o)

girlsmama said...

Hahahah. Hehehehe. Good for you! I'm sure there will be some blessings to follow...