My wonderful visiting teaching partner/quilting friend taught me how to make crabapple jelly yesterday. Before moving here, I thought crabapples were only good for slingshots. Actually, the kind I grew up with ARE only good for slingshots, but the kind we grow here...we eat. Marsha's crabapple jelly is all the rage in town, and let me tell you...it's worth the hype. Especially if you like almond flavoring.
She picked me up the other day and we drove to Fremont to pick the really red crabapples from some random person's yard (that's what gives the pretty color). Then we went to my friend Becky's house to pick her really large, but not so red crabapples. I had no idea how many I would need, so I just kept pickin' 'til my (apple) box was full.
Then, yesterday, Dillon and I went over to Marsha's to watch her make a batch so we could do our own. Just as I had gotten my kitchen counters cleaned and ready, a friend of mine (who just moved into the ward) stopped by to say "Hi". She ended up helping me all afternoon, and we had a ball. (no pun intended...we're using Kerr jars)
$48 for jars, five batches, and six hours later, we still had 2 GALLONS of crabapple juice left! (one batch takes 5 cups of juice) So, she's coming back this afternoon with more jars so we can finish up the rest of our jelly. (the jars are in the basement of her rental house and we figure the owner has no idea they're even there)
For dinner last night we had oatmeal pancakes with crabapple syrup...YUM!
Marsha came over this morning and traded me some elderberry juice for some of my extra crabapple juice, so I'll be making elderberry syrup next. (We also got the elderberries while we were out pickin')
I feel so domestic.







5 comments:
Nice job! I am so needing to learn to be domestic
I think you're domestic even if you don't can!
So what's the difference in the crabapples? And can you share the recipe? It looks so pretty. (I'd drink almond flavoring alone if there weren't so much alcohol in it!)
I've never done anything with crabapples except feed them to horses. I am so impressed! So does it taste almondy or appley?
Oooh, really pretty! I love the color! I'm sure it's delicious, too. I wish I could trade you for apricot jam! ;)
Okay, I made this today and it is so delicious! I don't think I'll ever make other jam again! I'm making bread now to go with it!
Post a Comment