Thursday, September 11, 2008

I have not forgotten



Every year on September 11th, I watch a few YouTube video's and cry my eyes out. It may seem silly to put myself through the emotion, but it helps me to really remember.

Ironically, my friend Vanessa's husband who is currently serving in Afghanistan, got to come home today for his two-week break. Bittersweet. I am so excited for her to see him, and yet so sad that our soldiers are still needed--seven years later.

On September 11, 2001 I was barely pregnant with Caleb. I had started a preschool in our home, and it was the 2nd day of school. We didn't have TV, but I heard about the first airplane when my alarm went off that morning. I listened to the radio as I got ready for preschool, and the part I will never forget, is Peter Jennings reporting live when the first tower fell. He said, "Oh...my...God" and then there was dead air space. Todd was away at a conference, and in my hormonal pregnant state it was more than I could handle. I somehow made it through preschool, and then I spent the rest of the day at my mom's house, glued to the TV. I just couldn't leave the screen because WHAT IF they found another person alive...

At that time the 2nd verse of We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet came to my mind, and I think of 9-11-01 every time I sing this song:

When dark clouds of trouble hang o’er us

And threaten our peace to destroy,

There is hope smiling brightly before us,

And we know that deliv’rance is nigh.

We doubt not the Lord nor his goodness.

We’ve proved him in days that are past.

The wicked who fight against Zion

Will surely be smitten at last.



I also became very fond of the 3rd verse of our national anthem:

(V, this is for you)

Oh, thus be it ever, when free men shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation!

Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the heav’n-rescued land

Praise the Pow’r that hath made and preserved us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Perfect verses for this day and time! I, too, will never forget.

Nicole said...

Thankyou for this post Felicia. It's one of those day we will always remember what we were doing when it happened. Those verus are so perfect.

On a lighter note I love your little Halloween pillow, would you mind if I tried to copy it?

Charlotte said...

Thanks for sharing.

I, too, thought about it today... today would have been my due date, had I not miscarried in January. And I was at mom's house watching the movie "World Trade Center" when I ran off to the bathroom and took that pregnancy test.

So somehow all that is intertwined for me...

Innocent lives lost. It's times like these that I'm glad to know Our Father in Heaven is looking out for us.

girlsmama said...

Thanks Felicia, this was a wonderful thought provoking post. I read on another friend's blog today how for our parent's generation it was where were your when JFK was shot and for our generation it will be where you were when the World Trade Center was attacked.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Love this post. Thanks.

V and Co. said...

thank you!